T-Birds Stung by Mad Ants
Rio Rancho, NM - The New Mexico Thunderbirds saw their hopes of a miraculous end of season turnaround dashed by the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (23-25) tonight by a score of 129-97. The T-Birds, whose record stands now at 20-28, were eliminated from playoff contention with just two games left to play in the regular season. The Mad Ants had 8 players finish in double figures to handily defeat the New Mexico Thunderbirds in Fort Wayne at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum.
The first period of play saw 6 lead changes and 5 ties. At the end of the first 12 minutes the Thunderbirds led 27-25. However, the Mad Ants were able to shoot 70% from the floor in the second period to take control of the lead and finished the second period with a ten point lead (60-50) at the half.
The Mad Ants dominated the second half scoring, as they hit 9 three pointers in the third and fourth quarters to widen their lead to as much as 36 points late in the fourth period. Jamine Peters' 18 second half points were not enough to counter the offensive onslaught of the Mad Ants.
The short-handed T-Birds, who had medically waived Kevin Lyde earlier in the month and were missing All Star Shane Edwards due to an ankle injury, were limited to a roster of 8 players. The Thunderbirds were led by Peters, who led all scorers with 36 points. Josh Bostic added 18 and Walter Sharpe contributed another 13 off of the bench.
The Thunderbirds will return home to play their final two games of the season at the Santa Ana Star Center against the Eastern Conference champs, the Iowa Energy, on April 1st for Hoops for Education Night and April 2nd for Dribble to Stop Diabetes and Fan Appreciation Night.
Thunderbirds' single and group game tickets are currently on sale at www.nmtbirds.com or by calling 505-265-3865. The Thunderbirds also offer family four packs: 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 nachos, and 4 drinks for $44.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 28, 2011
- Spurs Assign Da'sean Butler to Austin Toros - Austin Spurs
- San Antonio Spurs Assign Butler to NBA D-League Affiliate Austin Toros - G League
- New Mexico's Jamine Peterson Named NBA D-League Performer of the Week - G League
- Wizards Home Game Rescheduled - Dakota Wizards
- Sioux Falls Skyforce at Dakota Wizards Game Rescheduled - G League
- NBA Development League Game Rescheduled - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Babbitt Recalled by Trail Blazers - Idaho Stampede
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- T-Birds Stung by Mad Ants - New Mexico Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.