T-Birds Take Second Straight Overtime Game from Jam
Rio Rancho, NM - J.R. Giddens hit a jumper with 6.4 seconds left in regulation to send the game into overtime and then the New Mexico Thunderbirds (19-27) shutout the Bakersfield Jam (27-18) in overtime to pick up their third straight win by a score of 106-102.
After a closely contested first quarter, the Jam led the Thunderbirds by three points, 27-24. The league's leading scorer, Trey Johnson had six points in the first quarter and Tiny Gallon added another six off the bench. J.R. Giddens led all scorers with seven points.
In the second quarter, with the Jam leading by five points, the Thunderbirds went on a 7-0 run to take a 42-40 lead. Abdulai Jalloh scored five of the seven points during the run. The T-Birds would push the lead to a game high five points at the half. Jalloh led all scorers with 14 points at the break.
The Thunderbirds scored the first bucket of the half to give them a 57-50 lead. Bakersfield would answer with a 12-6 run that cut the lead to one point at 63-62. A couple of late free throws by Josh Bostic would give the T-Birds a 79-75 lead heading into the fourth quarter.
Walter Sharpe opened up the fourth quarter by hitting a 3-pointer that gave the Thunderbirds a seven point lead. With 2:01 to go Drew Naymick cut the lead to just two points when he hit a layup and was fouled. On the ensuing T-Birds possession, Dar Tucker hit a 3-pointer that brought the lead back up to five points. Bakersfield then hit four consecutive free throws to trim the lead to just one point. Then after a defensive stop Trey Johnson hit a long jumper and was fouled. After making the free throw, Bakersfield led 102-100. With 6.4 seconds left J.R. Giddens hit a jumper from the top of the key that tied up the ball game and sent it into overtime.
In overtime, Josh Bostic made a put back layup that gave the T-Birds a 104-102 lead. The T-Birds would end up shutting out the Jam in the overtime as Tucker tacked on a couple of free throws at the end to give the T-Birds a four point win.
The T-Birds will be back in action on Saturday when they visit the Springfield Armor at 6:00 p.m.
Thunderbirds' single game tickets are currently on sale at www.nmtbirds.comor by calling 505-265-3865. The Thunderbirds also offer family four packs: 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 nachos, and 4 drinks for $44.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 23, 2011
- Stampede Sweep Rio Grande Valley - Idaho Stampede
- T-Birds Take Second Straight Overtime Game from Jam - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Toros Shut Down Energy - Austin Spurs
- Vipers Top 100,000 Mark in Attendance for Second-Straight Season - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Austin Toros Host Around the World Night - Austin Spurs
- Tonight's Game Against Skyforce Postponed - Dakota Wizards
- Sioux Falls Skyforce at Dakota Wizards Game Postponed - G League
- Vipers Activate Janning - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Rockets Add Mike Harris to the Roster - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Nets Recall Uzoh - Springfield Armor
- West Waived Due to Personal Reasons - Maine Red Claws
- Armor Sweep Skyforce - Springfield Armor
- Jam Rally Falls Short in Overtime - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.