Condorstown amped for opening weekend
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Condorstown, you've waited all summer long for this and it's finally here! That's right, it's Opening Weekend. The Condors officially kick-off the 2006-07 season Friday at home against the Stockton Thunder. Bakersfield will host the Idaho Steelheads Saturday before hitting the road Sunday against the Long Beach Ice Dogs. .
Overall Preseason Record: 1-1-0
Last Week (Preseason): 1-1-0
THIS WEEK (ALL TIMES PACIFIC)
Friday, Oct. 20 vs. Stockton (7 p.m.)
Saturday, Oct. 21 vs. Idaho (7 p.m.)
Sunday, Oct. 22 @ Long Beach (5 p.m.)
WEEK IN REVIEW:
Friday, Oct. 13:
CONDORS 4 @ Ice Dogs 5
Sean Venedam and Kevin Truelson each notched two assists, while four others tickled the twine, but it wasn't enough as the Condors dropped their preseason opener to the Ice Dogs 5-4. Bakersfield carried a 3-2 lead in the second period, but Long Beach netted three straight to take a 5-2 advantage. Mike Hofstrand cut the deficit to one, but that's as close as the Condors could get.
Saturday, Oct. 14:
CONDORS 9 vs. Ice Dogs 1 (Attendance: 4,326*)
Joel Irving netted a hat trick and added two assists, while Scotty Balan and Andrew Ianiero each chipped in with three points, leading Bakersfield to a 9-1 trouncing of the Ice Dogs in the preseason finale. After trailing 1-0 early, the Condors exploded for nine straight goals, seven coming via the power play.
*Largest preseason crowd in Condors history
Rookie Todd Griffith signed Friday and scored goals in both preseason games
Fellow rookie Preston Briggs was acquired from Dayton Saturday
Benoit Quessandier and Neil Stevenson-Moore were both released Monday, trimming Bakersfield's roster to 25
The 20-man active Opening Night roster will be announced Wednesday
Scott Borders and Steve Rodberg will begin the season on injured reserve, leaving three more active roster spots to trim by Wednesday
The Condors have won 40 games the last two seasons and three of the last four overall.
Bakersfield had the third most wins and points in the National Conference after the all-star break last season.
Six of the Condor's first 14 games are against the defending Kelly Cup Champion Alaska Aces.
Everyone in attendance at Friday's Home Opener will receive a Condors magnetic schedule, courtesy of KGEO Hot Talk AM1230 and Grand Island Pools. The first 2,000 kids 12-and-under at Saturday's game will get a special Condors trick-or-treat bucket, courtesy of KGET-TV 17 and McMillin Homes. Captain Jack Sparrow from the movie "Pirates of the Caribbean" will also be appearing on Saturday.
Individual tickets for all Condors games are on sale NOW and can be purchased at the Rabobank Arena box office, all TicketMaster outlets, online at www.bakersfieldcondors.com, or by phone at 322- 2525. For more information or to reserve season tickets, mini-plans and book group outings contact the Condors office at 324-PUCK (7825). Season ticket packages start as low as $30
You can catch all Condors games live on KGEO Hot Talk AM1230 with Jake Stevens and Jeremy Zager calling all the action. Saturday's game against Idaho can be seen live on Bright House Networks (cable channel 21). All three games this weekend will be available to view courtesy of B2 Networks. Just click the "Watch the Game Live" link on the Condors home page. Live streaming for all Condors games is also available via their web site, www.bakersfieldcondors.com.
Season tickets for the 2006-07 Condors season are on sale now at the Condors office located at 1001 Truxtun Avenue or by calling at 324-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 16, 2006
- RoadRunners Name Brad Chavis Athletic Trainer - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Weber Exchanged to Long Beach, Roster Cut to 22 - Stockton Thunder
- Bombers Make Roster Moves - Dayton Bombers
- Opening Weekend Friday and Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- Walk With the Falcons in Light the Night - Fresno Falcons
- Salmon Kings continue to trim roster - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condorstown amped for opening weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- ECHL Opens 19th Season On Friday - ECHL
- Titans shuffle roster as season opener approaches - Trenton Devils
- Meet and greet, season ticket pickup Thursday - Augusta Lynx
- Steelheads trim three, add All-Star - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers Release 2006 Roster - Wheeling Nailers
- First Lynx Radio Hour tonight at Indigo Joe's - Augusta Lynx
- Rays Home Opener is This Saturday - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Trim Training Camp Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Pszenyczny Loaned To Toronto Marlies - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Coach's Show Resumes Tonight at Bobby Hartin's Sports Grill - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fresno Falcons Weekly - Fresno Falcons
- Rays Trim Roster to 20 - South Carolina Stingrays
- This Week In Cincinnati Cyclones Hockey - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ice Pilots Radio Broadcasts begin this friday - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Storm Continue to Trim Roster - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.