Weber Exchanged to Long Beach, Roster Cut to 22
STOCKTON, Calif. - The Stockton Thunder, an ECHL affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers, has traded goaltender Jeff Weber to the Long Beach Ice Dogs in exchange for financial considerations, Thunder head coach Chris Cichocki announced today.
"A competitive training camp left me with some tough decisions and I'm confident this will be a good move to benefit our club and Jeff," said Cichocki. "The final goaltending roster spot was won by Cam Ellsworth with his impressive play late in training camp and in pre-season games, and now we're fortunate to find Jeff a home to continue his professional development."
Weber, 22, spent his first full professional season with the Thunder in 2005-06 and compiled a 4-21-6 record, with a 3.64 goals-against-average and .899 save percentage in 39 games. A former eighth round selection (235th overall) of the Buffalo Sabres in the 2003 National Hockey League entry draft, Weber made his professional debut in 2004-05 with Atlantic City of the ECHL, and previously compiled a 38-38-13 record, .908 save percentage and 3.12 goals-against-average in 101 career junior games with Sault Ste. Marie, Plymouth, Barrie, and Saginaw of the Ontario Hockey League.
Ellsworth, 26, is entering his second professional season after appearing in two pre-season games with the Thunder, making 22 total saves while helping guide the Thunder to a 2-0-0 pre-season record and wins over the Fresno Falcons in both appearances. In his first professional season with the ECHL's Augusta Lynx and Greenville Grrrowl in 2005-06, Ellsworth went 22-10-2 with a .902 save percentage and 2.85 goals-against-average in 35 games, while posting four shutouts which ranked tied for third in the league, and tied for the league lead with five overtime wins.
THUNDER TRIMS ROSTER BY THREE
The Thunder announced the following players have been released from training camp:
* Mike Adamek (RW)
* Patrick Murphy (LW)
* J.F. Perras (G)
Stockton's training camp roster is now down to 22 players, including two goaltenders (Ellsworth and Devan Dubnyk).
The Thunder, who finished the pre-season schedule with a perfect 3-0-0 record, begins the 2006-07 ECHL regular season on the road beginning Friday, October 20 at Rabobank Arena, facing the Bakersfield Condors at 7:00 p.m. The Thunder opens the 2006-07 home campaign on Saturday, October 28 against the Ice Dogs at Stockton Arena, beginning at 7:30 p.m.
The Thunder drew 228,364 fans to Stockton Arena in its inaugural season, the ECHL's best attendance mark for 2005-06. Thunder season tickets, mini-plans, and individual tickets for the 2006-07 season are on sale now. For more information about tickets, merchandise, or other inquiries contact the Stockton Thunder offices at (209) 373-1500 or visit www.stocktonthunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 16, 2006
- RoadRunners Name Brad Chavis Athletic Trainer - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Weber Exchanged to Long Beach, Roster Cut to 22 - Stockton Thunder
- Bombers Make Roster Moves - Dayton Bombers
- Opening Weekend Friday and Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- Walk With the Falcons in Light the Night - Fresno Falcons
- Salmon Kings continue to trim roster - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condorstown amped for opening weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- ECHL Opens 19th Season On Friday - ECHL
- Titans shuffle roster as season opener approaches - Trenton Devils
- Meet and greet, season ticket pickup Thursday - Augusta Lynx
- Steelheads trim three, add All-Star - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers Release 2006 Roster - Wheeling Nailers
- First Lynx Radio Hour tonight at Indigo Joe's - Augusta Lynx
- Rays Home Opener is This Saturday - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Trim Training Camp Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Pszenyczny Loaned To Toronto Marlies - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Coach's Show Resumes Tonight at Bobby Hartin's Sports Grill - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fresno Falcons Weekly - Fresno Falcons
- Rays Trim Roster to 20 - South Carolina Stingrays
- This Week In Cincinnati Cyclones Hockey - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ice Pilots Radio Broadcasts begin this friday - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Storm Continue to Trim Roster - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Thunder Stories
- Final Weather Report: All the News and Notes from the Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Announce End of the Year Equipment Sale
- Thunder Win Final ECHL Game in front of Sold Out Crowd
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m.
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls