Steelheads trim three, add All-Star
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads announced today that Mike Ramsay, Nathan Ward and John Hopson have been released from the team's training camp roster, and former Steelhead and ECHL All-Star D'Arcy McConvey will be added.
McConvey, who was the Steelheads team captain in 2005-06, led the team in goals (39), assists (47), points (86), power play goals (16), shorthanded goals (4), game-winning goals (8) and shots (279) in only 58 games played. He was named to the ECHL All-Second Team after finishing tied for the league lead with 39 goals and 3rd in the ECHL with 86 points. The Richmond, Ontario native received Idaho's Cal Ingraham Leading Scorer Award and Aquafina 3-Stars Award, and was voted Team MVP by his teammates last season. The 5-10, 190-pound center was selected as a starter for the 2006 All-Star Game and he had two assists to help the National Conference to a 7-6 win over the American Conference. He was also selected as the CCM Tacks ECHL Player of the Month for March (14g and 27 points in 15games played). Under contract to Iowa of the American Hockey League last season, McConvey appeared in 14 games with Idaho's affiliate.
Steelheads head coach and director of hockey operations said, "Our organization is excited to have a player of this caliber back and I know our fans will be thrilled also. D'Arcy will be a great addition to the team we've assembled so far."
In his first professional season with Columbia in 2004-05, McConvey ranked eighth among ECHL rookies with a team-leading 54 points in 60 regular season games and had two assists in five Kelly Cup Playoff games while also playing four games with Reading of the ECHL. He also played four years at Bowling Green State University from 2000-04. He scored 102 points (31g-71a) in 153 career games and led the team in scoring each of his final two seasons.
McConvey, who will celebrate his 25th birthday next week, will join the team on Thursday in Boise after spending the summer in rehabilitation following sports hernia surgery.
Ramsay and Ward, both rookie forwards were released from their tryout contracts today. Ramsay split time last season with Finland's Assat Pori (FNL) and the United Hockey League's Motor City Mechanics, while Ward completed his four-year collegiate career with Lake Superior State University (NCAA). Hopson, also a rookie forward, left the team today to pursue an opportunity in his hometown of Prince George, British Columbia.
The Steelheads will host an "Open House" for fans to come and meet the team tonight from 5:00 pm -8:00 pm. Fans are invited to join the team at Qwest Arena for the first chance to see the newly remodeled Sports Zone and VIP Lounge. Players will be signing autographs, food and drinks will be available, as well as prizes and locker room tours. In addition, new merchandise and available seats will be offered for sale.
Idaho opens it's tenth anniversary season in Long Beach on October 20th, with the home opener set for November 3rd at Qwest Arena.
Steelheads' ticket packages for the 2006-07 regular season are on sale now. Tickets may be purchased by calling 208.383.0080. A variety of packages are available, including Full Season Tickets, Flex Plans, Suite Rentals, Group Outings, and a NEW Perfect-10 Season Mini. Individual tickets are available exclusively at the Qwest Arena Box Office, by phone (208) 331.TIXS (8497) or online at www.idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 16, 2006
- RoadRunners Name Brad Chavis Athletic Trainer - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Weber Exchanged to Long Beach, Roster Cut to 22 - Stockton Thunder
- Bombers Make Roster Moves - Dayton Bombers
- Opening Weekend Friday and Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- Walk With the Falcons in Light the Night - Fresno Falcons
- Salmon Kings continue to trim roster - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condorstown amped for opening weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- ECHL Opens 19th Season On Friday - ECHL
- Titans shuffle roster as season opener approaches - Trenton Devils
- Meet and greet, season ticket pickup Thursday - Augusta Lynx
- Steelheads trim three, add All-Star - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers Release 2006 Roster - Wheeling Nailers
- First Lynx Radio Hour tonight at Indigo Joe's - Augusta Lynx
- Rays Home Opener is This Saturday - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Trim Training Camp Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Pszenyczny Loaned To Toronto Marlies - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Coach's Show Resumes Tonight at Bobby Hartin's Sports Grill - South Carolina Stingrays
- Fresno Falcons Weekly - Fresno Falcons
- Rays Trim Roster to 20 - South Carolina Stingrays
- This Week In Cincinnati Cyclones Hockey - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ice Pilots Radio Broadcasts begin this friday - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Storm Continue to Trim Roster - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.