Columbus Crew Inspires Latest Mural Series in Short North Arts District
COLUMBUS - The Short North Alliance is partnering with the Columbus Crew to present the third installment of Summer Spray, a live mural-painting event that showcases and elevates the work and process of local artists in the Short North Arts District for the community to enjoy. Summer Spray 2022 will again feature a temporary 1,300-square-foot mural wall on the highly visible "Cap at Union Station" located on Goodale St. between High St. and Park St.
In 2020, the Short North Alliance created the first iteration of Summer Spray by engaging 10 artists to help achieve the project's bold goals. Summer Spray 2021 prioritized the selection of artists from historically marginalized communities to participate and will again be prioritized in the selection of participants in 2022. All artists will provide their own unique interpretation of themes that represent Columbus as a world-class city, a global community, and a place that ignites passion - just like the Crew.
Each weekend, over the span of 10 weekends from July 16 through September 17, a participating artist will create their section of the mural inspired by the themes mentioned, their own experiences, and current events, and build upon the work created by the previous artist. The public is invited to watch and enjoy the process as it unfolds. The finished mural will remain up for one year.
"We are thrilled to partner with the Short North Alliance to enhance our connectivity to the vibrant and diverse arts scene in Columbus," said Columbus Crew President of Business Operations Kristin Bernert. "It is critical for us to continue to integrate into the community we live and work in and we are excited that this project helps celebrate what makes Central Ohio -- and our Club - so unique, inclusive and special. The Summer Spray murals create an engagement opportunity for visitors and residents downtown throughout the week and of course on matchday as the location is within walking distance of our home at Lower.com Field. We are proud that the global themes of the project reflect the trajectory of this city and we look forward to seeing this vision come to life through these talented artists."
In addition to creating murals, each artist will be provided with an opportunity to host their own exhibition in the Short North Arts District so that the public can further deepen their experience with each artist's work. Exhibitions will occur on weekends from July 23 through September 24 during select hours. Each participating artist will be provided with a Short North Art Gallery mentor to help support the creation and execution of their exhibit.
"The Short North Arts District continues to evolve the many ways in which the public can experience and support local artists," said Betsy Pandora, Executive Director of the Short North Alliance. "This unique partnership with the Columbus Crew is not only allowing artists to explore bigger themes but elevates and exposes artists to audiences across our entire city."
Local, central-Ohio-based artists are invited to apply to be considered for Summer Spray 2022. The deadline to submit qualifications is Mon., May 31.
For more information about the Summer Spray 2022 call for artists qualifications and to apply, visit shortnorth.org/arts-galleries/public-art.
A full schedule of events, exhibitions, and artists will be shared in June 2022. Summer Spray is made possible with support from the Greater Columbus Arts Council, The Columbus Crew, PNC, and the Short North Alliance Art Fund.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 17, 2022
- LAFC Hosts Austin FC on Wednesday, May 18, at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Rapids Back on the Road as They Face Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Hosts Colorado on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Returns Home to GEODIS Park to Face CF Montréal - Nashville SC
- CF Montréal Taking on Nashville Wednesday Night - Club de Foot Montreal
- Keys against Sporting KC: Put on the Pressure - Colorado Rapids
- Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos Announce Initial Roster Selections for the Beautiful Game Event Set for DRV PNK Stadium on June 18 - Inter Miami CF
- New England Revolution's Adam Buksa Called into Poland National Team Duty - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC Signs Winger Julian Vazquez on Short-Term Loan - Sporting Kansas City
- Keys to the Match: On the Road Again - New York City FC
- The Pitch: Top Western Conference Teams Clash in Los Angeles on Wednesday - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Close Homestand against Concacaf Champions - Houston Dynamo FC
- Red Bulls Host Chicago Fire FC in Midweek Wednesday Night Match at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew Inspires Latest Mural Series in Short North Arts District - Columbus Crew SC
- Charlotte FC Forwards Karol Świderski and Kamil Jóźwiak Earn Poland National Team Call Ups - Charlotte FC
- Charlotte FC Announces Partnership with Sabor Latin Street Grill - Charlotte FC
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Opens Mini Pitch in Price Hill - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Names Dan Lock Head of Individual Development and Coaching for Crew 2 and Crew Academy
- Columbus Crew Signs Columbus Crew 2 Forward Jacen Russell-Rowe
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field the Place to be for Holiday Weekend on July 1 & 3
- Columbus Crew Acquires 23-Year-Old Forward Juan Camilo "Cucho" Hernandez in Record Transaction
- Columbus Crew Names Heidi Dettmer as Chief Marketing Officer