Columbus Crew Acquires Defender Milos Degenek
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew today announced that it has signed defender Milos Degenek [pronounced: ME-lowsh DEGG-uh-nick]. Degenek joined the Crew as a free agent after most recently playing for Red Star Belgrade of the Serbian First Division. The Australian international will officially be added to the Black & Gold roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 Visa, and will occupy an international roster slot on the Crew's roster. His contract with the Club will run through the 2023 season with options for 2024 and 2025.
"Milos is a center back who brings championship experience and leadership to our squad," said Columbus Crew President & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "In addition to winning domestic and continental titles at the club level, Milos has earned valuable experience with the Australian National Team, including the 2018 World Cup. We believe his attributes will serve him well in our league and look forward to seeing him make an impact in our team."
Degenek played for Red Star Belgrade during the 2018 season, and again from 2019-2021. During his time with the Serbian powerhouse, the defender made 132 appearances in league play, en route to three consecutive league titles (2018-2019, 2019-2020, 2020-2021). Degenek also helped Red Star Belgrade secure a domestic double in 2021, as the club won the Serbian Cup. Additionally, the defender made 12 appearances in UEFA Champions League action and 12 appearances in the UEFA Europa League.
The center back played for Al-Hilal Riyadh of Saudi Arabia's First Division during the 2019 season and made 18 appearances, helping his side capture the AFC Champions League, Asia's continental title.
Degenek began his career with German side VfB Stuttgart II, where he played from 2013-2015 before spending two seasons with 1860 Munich of Germany's Second Division from 2015-2017. The defender then joined the Yokohama F. Marinos of Japan's First Division, playing for the Japanese side from 2017-2018.
Degenek made his international debut for the Australian National Team in a friendly against England on May 27, 2016. To date he has earned 33 caps, joining Australia at the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup, the 2018 FIFA World Cup and the 2019 AFC Asian Cup. A native of Knin, Croatia, Degenek represented both Australia (Under-23, U-17) and Serbia (U-19) at the youth level.
Crew players are currently in preseason training camp in Fort Lauderdale, Florida until January 28. With the seasonal bubble currently encompassing the field at Historic Crew Stadium, the Crew will train in-market from February 1-6 at the OhioHealth Performance Center prior to traveling to Charleston, South Carolina, for the second trip of the preseason from February 7-19.
The Black & Gold are set to open the 2022 MLS season by hosting Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Lower.com Field in Opening Match on Saturday, February 26 at 3:30 p.m. ET. Following the home opener, the Crew hits the road and travels to face the San Jose Earthquakes at PayPal Park on March 5 for the first away match of the season. The Crew's full schedule for the 2022 MLS regular season can be found at ColumbusCrew.com.
The 2022 season will be the Black & Gold's 27th in MLS and the first full season at Lower.com Field, located in Astor Park. Fans looking to experience Crew matches have several options to save money, while getting the best seats for marquee matches. Season Ticket Memberships include benefits such as private, member-only events; a 10 percent discount at the Crew Shop; monthly, interest-free payment plans; the ability to purchase discounted parking; pre-sale access to all events at Lower.com Field, Historic Crew Stadium and FirstEnergy Stadium; and a dedicated account manager and service representative.
Fans can also choose between various packages that offer great benefits and ticket discounts, including Nine-Match Ticket Plans, Five-Match Ticket Plans, and Group Ticket Plans which are on sale now. Fans can additionally purchase single-match tickets, which are now available.
Supporters interested in securing their seat for the 2022 season can call 614-447-2739, visit columbuscrew.com/tickets or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected with a Ticket Sales Representative.
The Crew's current roster currently stands at 28 players in advance of the 2022 MLS campaign. Listed alphabetically by position:
Goalkeepers (4): Evan Bush, Eloy Room, Patrick Schulte, Brady Scott
Defenders (7): Jalil Anibaba, Milos Degenek, Jonathan Mensah, Steven Moreira, Jake Morris, Will Sands, Josh Williams
Midfielders (15): Artur, Sebastian Berhalter, Luis Diaz, Derrick Etienne Jr., Marlon Hairston, Perry Kitchen, Alex Matan, Kevin Molino, Aidan Morris, Darlington Nagbe, Isaiah Parente, Pedro Santos, Yaw Yeboah, Sean Zawadzki, Lucas Zelarayan
Forwards (2): Miguel Berry, Gyasi Zardes
TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew signs defender Milos Degenek as a free agent through the 2023 season with options for 2024 and 2025, announced on January 24, 2022. Degenek will officially be added to the Black & Gold roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 Visa and will occupy an international roster slot on the Crew's roster.
Name: Milos Degenek [ME-lowsh DEGG-uh-nick]
Weight: 181 lbs.
Born: April 28, 1994 in Knin, Croatia
Hometown: Sydney, Australia
Acquired: Signed by Columbus Crew on January 24, 2022
Previous Experience: Red Star Belgrade (2019-2021), Al-Hilal Riyadh (2019), Red Star Belgrade (2018), Yokohama F. Marinos (2017-2018), 1860 Munich (2015-2017), VfB Stuttgart II (2012-2015)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 24, 2022
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 24, 2022 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Two Additional Sounders FC Players Called up for 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chivas vs. Club Leon Match Rescheduled for March 26 - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United Acquire Defender Hayden Sargis - D.C. United
- Titi: 'When the Team Gets Some Confidence, I Think We Will Do Really Well' - Charlotte FC
- Kaye, Acosta Called up to Final World Cup Qualifiers Squads - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids' 2022 Preseason to Feature Exhibition Games with Sporting KC, Houston Dynamo in Desert Showcase - Colorado Rapids
- Alistair Johnston, Kamal Miller and Samuel Piette Called up by Canada - Club de Foot Montreal
- Inter Miami CF Transfers Nicolás Figal to Club Atlético Boca Juniors - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew Acquires Defender Milos Degenek - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting KC Signs Winger Marinos Tzionis - Sporting Kansas City
- Up Next: Two-Fixture Preseason Week - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF Academy Graduate Noah Allen Called up to U.S. U-20 Men's Youth National Team - Inter Miami CF
- Javier Casas Jr. and Brian Gutiérrez Called to U.S. U-20 Men's Youth National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- LA Galaxy Defender Marcus Ferkranus and LA Galaxy Academy Goalkeeper KyMani Dade Named to U.S. U-20 Men's Youth National Team - LA Galaxy
- Charlotte FC Defender Christian Makoun Receives Venezuelan National Team Call-Up - Charlotte FC
- Caleb Wiley Called up to United States Under-20 Men's Youth National Team for Training Camp - Atlanta United FC
- Dante Sealy, Antonio Carrera Called up to U.S. U-20 National Team for January Camp - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Signs Norwegian International Defender Ruben Gabrielsen - Austin FC
- Inter Miami CF Acquires International Roster Slot from Austin FC - Inter Miami CF
- Orlando City SC Acquires Uruguayan Forward Facundo Torres - Orlando City SC
- Žan Kolmanič, Rodney Redes, and Jhohan Romaña Obtain Green Cards - Austin FC
- Charlotte FC Names Katie Witham as Sideline Reporter for English-Language Television Coverage - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Hosts LAFC at Lower.com Field Today
- Columbus Crew to Celebrate "On Our Sleeves" Day at Lower.com Field on May 21
- Columbus Crew Inspires Latest Mural Series in Short North Arts District
- Lower.com Field to Host Columbus Crew and Columbus Crew 2 Doubleheader this Saturday, May 21
- Columbus Crew Fans Set Guinness World Records© Title for Longest Chain of Sports Fan Scarfs to Support on Our Sleeves®