Colin Smith Wins the WHL Scholastic Player of the Year
Kamloops, BC - The Kamloops Blazers are pleased to announce that 17-year-old forward Colin Smith has won the Doc Seaman Memorial Trophy, which is awarded to the Western Hockey League's Scholastic Player of the Year.
Smith is due to graduate with honours in June of 2011 from Vimy Ridge Academy in Edmonton after attending Valleyview Secondary School in Kamloops. His improvement on the ice was also evident this year as he played in all 72 regular-season games for Kamloops, finishing with 21 goals and 50 points. Smith also played for Team Canada at the Under-18 World Championship, which was held in Germany last month.
"The entire Kamloops Blazers organization is very proud of Colin Smith for earning this award," said Craig Bonner, the Blazers' Vice President and General Manager. "Colin is a studious individual who is a terrific example of a good student athlete. Our Education Consultant, Vic Bifano, has done a tremendous job working with Colin and all of our players. Achieving and exceeding in school is an important standard within our organization."
Smith is the third Blazer to win this award - Scott Niedermayer (1990-91) and Devan Dubnyk (2003-04) were both the WHL and Canadian Hockey League Scholastic Players of the Year.
Season tickets for the 2011-12 season are on sale now. Contact Ashley Neuls at the Kamloops Blazers office at (250-828-1144) or email@example.com to purchase your seats for all 36 home games.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 4, 2011
- Victoria WHL Franchise to Participate in 2011 WHL Bantam Draft - Victoria Royals
- Joe Sakic Inducted into Swift Current Broncos Hall of Fame - Swift Current Broncos
- Bantam Draft Thursday - Spokane Chiefs
- Blades Represented at 2011 WHL Awards - Saskatoon Blades
- Calgary Hitmen Director of Business Operations Mike Moore Wins WHL Award - Calgary Hitmen
- Johnson, Nachbaur Each Receive WHL Awards - Spokane Chiefs
- Broncos Named Scholastic Team of the Year - Swift Current Broncos
- Button Signs with Boston Bruins - Seattle Thunderbirds
- WHL Announces 2010-11 Award Winners - WHL
- Red Deer Rebels' Darcy Kuemper Named WHL Player of the Year - WHL
- Pats with An Eye on the Future - Regina Pats
- Edwards WHL Humanitarian of the Year - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Colin Smith Wins the WHL Scholastic Player of the Year - Kamloops Blazers
- Vancouver Giants 2011 WHL Bantam Draft Preview - Vancouver Giants
- Ice's Max Reinhart Named CHL Player of the Week - WHL
- Games 1 - 4 of WHL Finals to be Broadcast Live on Comcast SportsNet - Portland Winterhawks
- 2011 WHL Championship Series Live on SHAW in High Definition - WHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kamloops Blazers Stories
- Kamloops to Host 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship Pre-Tournament Game
- Blazers to Host Military Appreciation Night on November 9, Post Game Skate with Fans November 11
- Blazers to Host Military Appreciation Night
- Blazers Name Tim O'Donovan Director of Hockey Operations
- Call It a Hot Streak: Blazers Win 4 Straight