Cloyd Near Perfect in Series-Finale Win
High Point, North Carolina - The Somerset Patriots (25-39, 67-67) rode a near-perfect pitching performance to their third-straight win in a 3-1 final over High Point Rockers (31-33, 72-62) Monday night at BB&T Point.
The Patriots struck first in the top of the fourth inning. Olmo Rosario led off with a base hit to begin the frame. With Jimmy Paredes at the plate, Rosario stole second base, with the throw from High Point catcher Matt Jones hitting him in the leg. The ball trickled into shallow left field, which allowed Rosario to race home from second base for the first run of the night.
Meanwhile, the Patriots got a gem of a start out of right-hander Tyler Cloyd. The second-year Patriot held a perfect game through the first six innings. It was broken up by a lead off single from Jared Mitchell in the bottom of the seventh and followed immediately by a Stephen Cardullo base hit to put runners at first and third with no outs. But Cloyd still navigated through the inning after he struck out Hector Gomez and forced Quincy Latimore into an inning-ending 5-4-3 double play.
Cloyd (W, 1-3) finished after seven scoreless innings in which he yielded just two hits, no walks and struck out six batters.
Somerset later doubled its lead in the top of the eighth inning on a two-out RBI single from Jimmy Paredes and added a third run on a Yovan Gonzalez sacrifice fly in the ninth.
The Rockers got their lone run in the bottom of the ninth on a Gomez RBI groundout, but would get no closer.
High Point starter Joe Van Meter (L, 9-6) allowed only one unearned run over six innings to take the loss. Mike Antonini (S, 28) yielded a run in the ninth to earn the save.
Somerset's road trip continues Tuesday night in Texas with the first of a three-game series against the Sugar Land Skeeters. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 pm ET (8:05 pm CT).
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford continues on the road until Friday, September 20th when the team returns home to face the New Britain Bees. The game will feature a Back-To-School Folders giveaway for the first 1,500 kids, presented by SCEA. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots pitcher Tyler Cloyd
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 16, 2019
- Cloyd Near Perfect in Series-Finale Win - Somerset Patriots
- Blue Crabs Set Two Atlantic League Records in Win - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Skeeters to Honor Special Olympian Tank Schottle and Host Game of Drones During Upcoming Homestand - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Revs Secure Alternate Parking Options for Friday's Game - York Revolution
- Skeeters Hand Bees Third Straight Loss With Late-Game Comeback - New Britain Bees
- Revs Drop Rubber Match in Lancaster in Final Road Game of Regular Season - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots Help Atlantic League Earn Designation as Partner League of Major League Baseball
- Patriots Win Seventh in a Row to Close out Series
- Scott Kelly Leads Patriots to 8-4 Win over Blasters
- Patriots Clinch Series with Win over Blasters
- Patriots Win Fourth in a Row over Blasters