Chiefs Win Streak Ends in Lake County
Eastlake, OH - The Peoria Chiefs got five shutout innings from starter Parker Kelly but one bad inning led to a 7-0 loss Sunday against the Lake County Captains, ending the Chiefs win streak. With a career-high five shutout innings and a career-high five strikeouts, Kelly was named the Pekin Insurance Beyond the Expected Player of the Game as he got a no-decision.
The Chiefs had a couple early chances to take the lead. Brendan Donovan doubled with two outs in the third inning against Captains starter Zach Dunbar. Edwin Figuera hit a grounder through the legs of LC shortstop Jose Fermin but Donovan was thrown out at the plate by left-fielder Cody Farhat to end the inning.
The Chiefs also got a leadoff double from Brandon Riley in the fifth inning but couldn't get him home. The Captains scored five runs in the sixth as reliever Rodard Avelino (0-2) walked four and allowed a double in 1/3 of an inning. The Chiefs left the bases loaded in the eighth and ultimately fell 7-0.
Game three of the series is Monday at 6:00 p.m. Central time. The broadcast, begins with the Pre-Game Show at 5:45 p.m. (CT) on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets.
The Chiefs return home on Saturday, July 27 to start a seven-game homestand. Individual game tickets, group tickets and season ticket packages, including full-season, a 35-game ticket package, an 18-game ticket package or a Flex Plan are currently on sale by calling 309-680-4000. Individual game tickets are also on sale with the Dozer Park Box Office open Monday - Friday from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm and online at www.peoriachiefs.com which also lists all of the season's promotions. Game times and promotions are subject to change.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 21, 2019
- Holderbach's Walk-Off Blast Beats Bowling Green - Quad Cities River Bandits
- River Bandits Edge Hot Rods 4-3 with Walk-Off Homer - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers split doubleheader against Cubs Sunday - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win Streak Ends in Lake County - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Sweeps Whitecaps to Reach .500 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rattlers Take Game One from Whitecaps 6-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Take Tough L's - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Big 1st Inning Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Offense Bounces Back to Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Walk Off Winners on a Steamy Sunday - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fort Wayne Evens Series with Walk-Off Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Tops Dragons on Sunday, 8-5; Road Trip Concludes Monday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Miller, Lugnuts Rally Past 'Kings, 4-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Draper Stymies Chiefs - Lake County Captains
- Early Offense Not Enough in 4-2 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Game Notes 7-21 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- P Josh Hiatt reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 21 vs. Cedar Rapids (Game 97) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.