TinCaps Game Notes: July 21 vs. Cedar Rapids (Game 97)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (9-19, 42-54) vs. Cedar Rapids Kernels (17-11, 56-42)
LHP Cullen Dana vs. RHP Austin Schulfer
Sunday, July 21 - Parkview Field - First Pitch 1:05 PM (Game 97 / 138)
WATCH: John Nolan & Brett Rump (Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV)
LISTEN: Mike Maahs & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST NIGHT: The TinCaps couldn't quite complete a second dramatic comeback in three nights, falling 6-4 to Cedar Rapids in the opener of a three-game series. Fort Wayne left the bases loaded in the ninth inning after filling up the bags with nobody out.
LAST TIME THEY WERE HERE: The Kernels' last visit at Parkview Field was in 2016. Similarly to last night, that series opened on a Saturday night, July 16, with the closing of the Three Rivers Festival and fireworks shot off the Indiana Michigan Power Tower in Downtown Fort Wayne. The 10-inning game, which Cedar Rapids won 13-10, took 4 hours and 26 minutes. After initially delaying the fireworks, the festival organizers eventually said they couldn't wait any longer and started to blast them during the ninth inning of the game, creating a scene reminiscent of "The Sandlot."
260 TO THE SHOW: Pitcher Adrian Morejon was added to the Padres' roster today and will start against the Cubs at Wrigley Field. Michel Baez was also added to the Padres' roster today. Both Cuban natives pitched for the TinCaps in 2017. Once they both appear with San Diego, that will raise the count of former Fort Wayne players to make the big leagues to 186, including 12 debuting in 2019.
HEY, I KNOW THEM: Former TinCaps Fernando Tatis Jr. and Hunter Renfroe both smacked home runs for the Padres down the road at Wrigley Field yesterday. Tatis Jr.'s home run was a monster, 468-foot blast-the 20-year-old now has 16 home runs this season in just 63 total games.
PACKED PARKVIEW FIELD: A crowd of 7,752 witnessed the wildness of Thursday night when the TinCaps overcame an 11-2 deficit against Peoria to win 12-11, making it the 9th sellout of the season at Parkview Field. The crowds the last two nights have been no slouch either, particularly considering the temperatures hovering near 100 degrees for each game-6,448 on Friday night and 6,211 on Saturday night. The TinCaps have drawn 239,892 fans so far this season over 45 openings for an average attendance of 5,331. That ranks 2nd out of 60 Single-A teams, trailing only the Dayton Dragons.
FAMILY AFFAIR: Several TinCaps players have family in town this week, including Friday night's starting pitcher Omar Cruz and right fielder Agustin Ruiz, whose loved ones have traveled from Mexico.
BULLDOG WITH BITE: Michael Curry has been swinging a very hot bat over his last 10 games. Dating back to July 7, the former Georgia Bulldog is slashing .343/.410/.571 with two doubles, two HRs and 10 RBIs. Curry's OPS of .981 leads all TinCaps since July 7.
QUICK HITTERS: Tucupita Marcano has the lowest K% in the MWL at 9%. He also 2nd in swinging strike % (4%) and ranks top-10 in BB/K (0.74)... Ethan Skender has hit safely in each of his first 6 games with the 'Caps and has an 12-game hitting streak dating back to his call-up from the AZL... Agustin Ruiz ranks 8th in the MWL in RBIs (46)...Luke Becker grew up a big fan of the Minnesota Twins (Cedar Rapids' parent club). His grandparents have season tickets and used to take him games. His favorite player as a kid was Jacque Jones, a left-handed batting outfielder. Becker is a switch-hitter because despite being naturally right-handed, he learned to hit lefty to emulate Jones... Jawuan Harris ranks 2nd in the MWL in BB% (16%) and 4th in stolen bases (20).
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have walked the fewest batters in the MWL this season, averaging just 2.9 walks per 9 innings. Fort Wayne also has the best ratio of strikeouts to walks (3.19).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 21, 2019
- Holderbach's Walk-Off Blast Beats Bowling Green - Quad Cities River Bandits
- River Bandits Edge Hot Rods 4-3 with Walk-Off Homer - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers split doubleheader against Cubs Sunday - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win Streak Ends in Lake County - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Sweeps Whitecaps to Reach .500 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rattlers Take Game One from Whitecaps 6-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Take Tough L's - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Big 1st Inning Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Offense Bounces Back to Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Walk Off Winners on a Steamy Sunday - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fort Wayne Evens Series with Walk-Off Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Tops Dragons on Sunday, 8-5; Road Trip Concludes Monday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Miller, Lugnuts Rally Past 'Kings, 4-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Draper Stymies Chiefs - Lake County Captains
- Early Offense Not Enough in 4-2 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Game Notes 7-21 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- P Josh Hiatt reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 21 vs. Cedar Rapids (Game 97) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Minor League Baseball Offering Fans Free Preview of MiLB.TV
- TinCaps, Minor League Baseball Have Record-Setting Year Supporting Community
- 2020 Edition of Parkview Sports Medicine Baseball Series Canceled
- Installation of Parkview Field's New HD LED Video Board Underway
- Statement from the Fort Wayne TinCaps on Opening Day Delay