'Caps Take Tough L's
APPLETON, WI - The West Michigan Whitecaps bullpen continued its second-half struggle in taking a heartbreaking 6-4 loss after losing earlier in the day by a score of 6-3 to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in a Sunday doubleheader at Fox Cities Stadium.
A three-run rally by the Whitecaps in the sixth inning of the nightcap to take a 4-2 lead was negated by giving up four in the bottom of the frame. The Whitecaps fell to a season-high 34 games under .500 at 32-66 - the most games they've been under the break-even mark in the history of the franchise.
The first game featured a Timber Rattlers four-run fourth inning against Whitecaps starter Gio Arriera to provide the difference in the contest. Arriera (3-7) took his seventh loss by giving up six runs in 4.2 innings on the mound. In the second game, the Whitecaps found their first run of the game when Jack Kenley launched his third home run of the season to even the score in the fourth inning at one. After the Timber Rattler reclaimed the lead in the fifth, Nick Quintana evened the score in the next frame with a go-ahead two-run triple before scoring on a Wisconsin error to extend the advantage to 4-2. The Timber Rattlers countered by scoring four times against ace "Caps reliever Zack Hess (0-1), who walked two batters, threw two wild pitches and allowed all four runs (one earned) in suffering his first loss and blown save.
In game one, Timber Rattlers lefty Scotty Sunitch (7-10) worked quickly and efficiently to allow just two runs in six innings while striking out six to earn his seventh victory of the season. Wisconsin improves to 49-49 and 19-11 in the back half of 2019. Kenley, Parker Meadows, Wenceel Perez, and Dayton Dugas each collected a multi-hit performance in the doubleheader, while infielder Andre Lipcius went 0-for-3 in the nightcap to snap an 11-game hitting streak.
The Whitecaps continue this three-game series against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers for a Sunday afternoon matinee at 2:05 pm. Hugh Smith starts on the mound for West Michigan against the Timber Rattlers right-hander Adam Hill. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty begins on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 7:20 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2019 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 21, 2019
- Holderbach's Walk-Off Blast Beats Bowling Green - Quad Cities River Bandits
- River Bandits Edge Hot Rods 4-3 with Walk-Off Homer - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers split doubleheader against Cubs Sunday - Beloit Sky Carp
- Chiefs Win Streak Ends in Lake County - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Sweeps Whitecaps to Reach .500 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rattlers Take Game One from Whitecaps 6-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Take Tough L's - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Big 1st Inning Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Offense Bounces Back to Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Walk Off Winners on a Steamy Sunday - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fort Wayne Evens Series with Walk-Off Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Tops Dragons on Sunday, 8-5; Road Trip Concludes Monday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Miller, Lugnuts Rally Past 'Kings, 4-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Draper Stymies Chiefs - Lake County Captains
- Early Offense Not Enough in 4-2 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Game Notes 7-21 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- P Josh Hiatt reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 21 vs. Cedar Rapids (Game 97) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Michigan Whitecaps Stories
- LMCU Ballpark Will be Cashless in 2022
- Whitecaps Announce New Start Time for Night Games. Group Experience Tickets on Sale Today
- Whitecaps Launch Fan Voting for Hall of Fame Class of 2022
- West Michigan Whitecaps Release 2022 Baseball Season Schedule
- Rivera Hits 21st in Record-Setting Win