Cougars Offense Bounces Back to Even Series
Geneva, Illinois - After a shutout loss yesterday, the Kane County Cougars (54-44, 19-10) bounced back to beat the Dayton Dragons (42-57, 14-15) 8-5 on Sunday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field in front of 7,861 fans. Tra Holmes led the offense with three RBI.
The Dragons scored first. In the third inning, Miles Gordon made it 1-0 with a sacrifice fly. Michael Siani added on with an RBI single.
The Cougars big inning was the fourth. Dominic Fletcher's two-run homer tied the game. Tra Holmes pushed the Cougars in front with a sacrifice fly. Alek Thomas brought Ryan January and Geraldo Perdomo to the plate with an RBI single. The Cougars padded the lead in the fifth. Holmes drove in two with a single. Geraldo Perdomo tacked on another run with a base hit.
The Dragons battled back into the game in the sixth. Jay Schuyler had an RBI knock. Another run came in on a wild pitch then Miguel Hernandez made it a three-run game with a run-scoring ground out.
After allowing one of the three sixth inning runs, Cougar right-hander Chester Pimentel (7) settled in to retire the final nine he faced and earn the save. Pimentel's effort notched a win for Matt Tabor (5-2) who tossed five innings and allowed four runs. Eduardo Salazar (4-2) was charged with the loss. He gave up five runs (four earned) over 3.2 innings.
The finale of the three-game series between the Cougars and Dragons is scheduled for noon on Monday. For tickets, call 630-282-8811 or online at kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 21, 2019
- Holderbach's Walk-Off Blast Beats Bowling Green - Quad Cities River Bandits
- River Bandits Edge Hot Rods 4-3 with Walk-Off Homer - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers split doubleheader against Cubs Sunday - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win Streak Ends in Lake County - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Sweeps Whitecaps to Reach .500 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rattlers Take Game One from Whitecaps 6-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Take Tough L's - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Big 1st Inning Enough - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Offense Bounces Back to Even Series - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Walk Off Winners on a Steamy Sunday - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fort Wayne Evens Series with Walk-Off Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Tops Dragons on Sunday, 8-5; Road Trip Concludes Monday Afternoon - Dayton Dragons
- Miller, Lugnuts Rally Past 'Kings, 4-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Draper Stymies Chiefs - Lake County Captains
- Early Offense Not Enough in 4-2 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Game Notes 7-21 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- P Josh Hiatt reinstated from IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 21 vs. Cedar Rapids (Game 97) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.