Chicago Fire Fix Focus on Second Half of MLS Campaign
With the excitement, pomp and circumstance of the largest crowd for an international club match at Soldier Field behind them, the Chicago Fire (2-6-12, 18 points) return their focus on securing an MLS Cup playoff spot. The Men in Red will rest for four days during the 2011 MLS All-Star break before returning to TOYOTA PARK Thursday, July 28 to begin preparations for the remaining 14 games in the 2011 MLS regular season.
Much to the delight of the capacity crowd, the Men in Red took a 1-0 advantage over Manchester United when defender Cory Gibbs nodded home a Marco Pappa free kick in the 13th minute at Soldier Field on Saturday. The Fire held the lead through 65 minutes until Wayne Rooney leveled the match with a nifty chip over Jon Conway. Manchester United eventually rallied for three second-half goals to best the Fire 3-1 in the Herbalife World Football Challenge match.
The Fire, who have not taken four consecutive days off since reporting to preseason camp on January 27, return to league play on Wednesday, Aug. 3 against the Philadelphia Union at TOYOTA PARK at 7:30 p.m. CT (My50).
CHICAGO FIRE TO CHALLENGE FAMED MEXICAN SIDE CLUB DEPORTIVO GUADALAJARA PRESENTED BY MILLER LITE AT TOYOTA PARK ON SEPTEMBER 14
The Chicago Fire Soccer Club will welcome for the first time at TOYOTA PARK the 11-time champions in the Primera Divisiï¿½n in Mexican Soccer, Club Deportivo Guadalajara in an international friendly Presented by Miller Lite on Wednesday, Sept. 14 at 8:00 p.m. CT.
Advance tickets for the Chicago Fire and Chivas del Guadalajara match go on sale Friday, July 15 at noon CT are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire or by visiting Chicago-Fire.com. The international friendly will serve as Bonus Game 1 in the Fire's Season Ticket Package. Supporters can purchase a ticket for the Fire - CD Guadalajara match by placing a deposit on Chicago Fire Season Tickets for the 2012 season.
The Fire and Chivas del Guadalajara have only faced each other once previously in an international friendly at Soldier Field Stadium on July 13 of 2000. The Men in Red fell to the Red and White 1-0 in front of 22,260 supporters at the former Fire home.
TICKETS ON SALE FOR CHICAGO FIRE - RICHMOND KICKERS LAMAR HUNT U.S. OPEN CUP SEMIFINAL BATTLE
The Chicago Fire will host the Richmond Kickers in a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal at TOYOTA PARK on Tuesday, Aug. 30 at 7:30 p.m. CT. The Fire defeated the New York Red Bulls 4-0 to advance to the semifinal of the nation's longest standing team tournament Tuesday night at TOYOTA PARK. Richmond used two late goals to upend Sporting Kansas City at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park Tuesday night in Kansas City, Kan.
Advance tickets for the Fire - Kickers match go on sale Friday, July 15 at noon CT and are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire, via Chicago-Fire.com and Ticketmaster. Tickets start as low at $10 for Chicago Fire Season Ticket Holders. The U.S. Open Cup tilt is not part of the Fire Season Ticket package. Season Ticket Holders can use their season parking passes and park at no additional cost. Bonus Game One in the Fire's Season Ticket Plan, an international friendly, will be announced tomorrow, Thursday, July 14.
Since 1998, the Fire have racked up an impressive 27-8-3 record in Open Cup play, which has helped the squad reach the semifinal round on eight out of 14 occasions and the tournament's final five times. The 2006 title marked the ninth time a team from Chicago won the Open Cup and made the Fire one of five teams to capture the crown at least four times in the tournament's nearly century-long history.
AT&T MLS ALL-STAR FESTIVITIES KICK OFF
In the days leading up to the 2011 AT&T MLS All-Star Game, Major League Soccer and its corporate partners will hold many events throughout the New York Metropolitan area. The events will showcase players from both the MLS All-Stars and their opponents, Manchester United, who will face each other in the 2011 AT&T MLS All-Star Game to be held at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, NJ, on Wednesday, July 27 (8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2, Galavision, TSN).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 25, 2011
- Real Salt Lake Goalkeeper Nick Rimando Named One of Six Inactive All-Stars - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Academy to Open Generation adidas Cup Play Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Striker Eric Hassli Named 2011 MLS All-Star - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Salvadorean-American Gerson Mayen Leaves Chivas USA - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Red Bulls Announce Traveling Roster, Broadcast Details for 2011 Emirates Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls Midfielder Joel Lindpere Named to MLS All-Star Squad Inactive List - New York Red Bulls
- FC Barcelona's Travel Roster Unveiled - FC Dallas
- United Academy Set for Generation adidas Cup - D.C. United
- Dwayne De Rosario Selected as Inactive MLS All-Star - D.C. United
- FC Barcelona Announces Travel Roster for 2011 Herbalife World Football Challenge - D.C. United
- Independiente Announces Travel Roster for Tuesday Exhibition - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo Announce Season Ticket Prices for 2012 Season in New Downtown Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Midfielder Sanna Nyassi Named MLS Player of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Kansas City Digs in at Home - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Looks to Extend Seven-Match Undefeated Streak in MLS Play - Real Salt Lake
- Union return to MLS play vs. Colorado Rapids at PPL Park - Philadelphia Union
- Registration Deadline Nears for First Budweiser Adult Summer Showdown - FC Dallas
- FC Dallas to compete in CONCACAF Champions League vs. Alianza FC Thursday - FC Dallas
- Rapids Visit Philadelphia Union For Match On Friday - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Fix Focus on Second Half of MLS Campaign - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Advance to Quarterfinal Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with 1-0 Road Win over Atlanta United
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Selected as Finalist for ESPN's 2018 Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year Award
- Chicago Fire Continue Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quest against Atlanta United, Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Earn Point in 2-2 Road Draw with Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Travel to Face Colorado Rapids