Charlotte Independence Draws Charleston Battery 1-1 in First Home Game of the Season at the Sportsplex at Matthews
CHARLOTTE - The Charlotte Independence opened its campaign at home with a 1-1 draw against the Charleston Battery. Dane Kelly scored as the Independence hosted its first home match at the Sportsplex at Matthews in 294 days.
"It was much better overall," said Independence head coach Mike Jeffries. "I'm disappointed that we weren't able to get three points, we had good opportunities and tried to push the game but overall the movement with the ball was much better than a few days ago."
"We obviously did a lot better job defensively, I thought we kept our shape and kept them in front of us and limited chances for them so from that standpoint we were really good."
With the team playing its second game in four days, Jeffries rotated his squad, making two changes to the starting lineup from last game. The match came to life after the half-hour mark as the Independence took the lead in the 38th minute of play when forward Dane Kelly curled a right-footed effort past Battery goalkeeper Phil Breno for the forward's second goal of the season and 79th in his USL career.
"It was a relief," said Kelly. "To get that goal it was definitely a confidence booster."
Moments later, the Battery responded well and found an equalizer as a shot from forward Zeiko Lewis deflected off Independence defender Aaron Maund and into the back of the net to level the score for the visitors in the 42nd minute.
The second half saw more of the same, as both teams traded periods of control and offensive chances at both ends of the field. As the match progressed, the Jacks established itself as the dominant force, amassing a 15-13 shot advantage, including 5-3 shots on goal, while limiting the Battery to counter attacks, several of which proved dangerous.
In the 85th minute, Kelly was clear in on goal after beating two Battery defenders at midfield but was taken down from behind at the top of the box by Battery defender Rennico Clarke. For his actions, Clarke received a red card and the Battery were forced to play with ten men for the remainder of the match.
"We will be frustrated with tonight and then move on," said Jeffries. "The guys will come out with something to prove against a Birmingham [Legion FC] team that beat us pretty handily a week ago."
With the result tonight against the Battery and North Carolina FC beating Memphis 901 FC, 1-0, Mike Jeffries' side currently sit in third place in the USL Championship Group G standings.
Next on the Schedule: The Independence will return to Group G play against Birmingham Legion FC on Wednesday, August 12th at 7 p.m. ET at the Sportsplex at Matthews and broadcast live on ESPN+. The match against Legion FC will be the second meeting between the Group G opponents this year.
Social: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
CLT - Dane Kelly 38th minute: Independence forward Dane Kelly pounced on a ball on the left wing and dribbled towards the end line. A change of pace took Kelly around a Battery defender and inside the left side of the penalty area where the forward curled a right-footed shot over the head of Battery goalkeeper Phil Breno and into the back of the net. CLT 1, CHS 0
CHS - Own Goal (Charlotte) 42nd minute: Forward Zeiko Lewis received a ball chipped over the top and into the right side of the penalty area. Lewis fired a one-timed shot that deflected off Independence defender Aaron Maund and into the Jacks' goal. CLT 1, CHS 1
Match: Charlotte Independence vs. Charleston Battery
Date: August 8, 2020
Venue: Sportsplex at Matthews
Competition: USL Championship
Kickoff: 7:00 p.m. ET
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
CLT 1 0 1
CHS 1 0 1
CLT - Dane Kelly 38th minute
CHS - Own goal (Charlotte) 42nd minute
CLT: 33-Brandon Miller; 3-Hugh Roberts; 14-Duke Lacroix; 18-Aaron Maund; 22-Joe Johnson; 4-Jake Areman(15-Luke Haakenson); 11-Valentin Sabella(23- Guido Vadala); 21-Junior Etou; 27-Derek Gebhard(7-Rey Ortiz); 9-Dane Kelly, 19- Enzo Martinez(captain)
Subs Not Used:1-Austin Pack, 17-Clay Dimmick, 20-Oscar Ramsey, 32-Tresor Mbuyu
Head Coach: Mike Jeffries
CHS: 1-Phil Breno; 17-Logan Gdula; 5-Leland Archer(4-Rennico Clarke); 14-Jared Vanschaik(captain); 20-AJ Patterson(2-Jay Bolt); 6-Robbie Crawford; 21-Angelo Kelly(13-Angelo Kelly); 8-Romario Piggott(16-Stavros Zorokostas); 19-Dante Marini(12-Deshawon Nembhard); 10-Zeiko Lewis; 11-Nicque Paley
Subs Not Used: 0-Darian McCauley, 9-Arthur Basua
Head Coach: Michael Anhaeuser
Stats Summary CLT/ CHS:
Shots: 15 / 13
Shots on Goal: 5/ 3
Saves: 3 / 5
Corner Kicks: 5 / 5
Fouls: 10 / 15
CLT- Junior Etou (caution) 15th minute
CHS - Rennico Clarke (red card) 85th minute
CLT- Luke Haakenson (caution) 90th minute
Referee: Sergii Demianchuk
Assistant Referee 1: Ryan Star
Assistant Referee 2: Eric Wood
Fourth Official: Sara Gaddes
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 8, 2020
- Austin Bold FC Return to Winning Ways with 4-1 Victory over RGV FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Draws Charleston Battery 1-1 in First Home Game of the Season at the Sportsplex at Matthews - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Lose on the Road to El Paso Locomotive FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to FC Tulsa - Saint Louis FC
- Tyler Pasher Scores Once Again to Help Eleven Earn Road Point off Rivals - Indy Eleven
- FC Tulsa Streaks Past Saint Louis with 2-0 Road Victory - FC Tulsa
- Toros Fall 4-1 in Austin - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Legion FC Grinds out 1-0 Win over Atlanta United 2 - Birmingham Legion FC
- LouCity, Indy Eleven Even After First LIPAFC Meeting in 2020 - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Earn Home Victory against New York, 4-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win in OKC - San Antonio FC
- Battery Earn 1 Point in Draw with Charlotte - Charleston Battery
- Greens Fall to San Antonio, 0-3 - OKC Energy FC
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 1-0 against Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- San Diego Loyal SC Match vs. Las Vegas Lights FC Postponed - San Diego Loyal
- North Carolina FC Moves into Second Place in Group G with Win over Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- Tune-In Alert: Rising FC Hosts New Mexico Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLvTUL: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Independence Stories
- Kelly and Miller Shortlisted for 2020 USL Championship Awards
- Dane Kelly and Brandon Miller Named to 2020 USL Championship All-League Second Team
- Independence Teamed up with Alianza de Futbol to Host Successful Distribution Event
- Independence to Help Host Alianza Contigo in Support of the Hispanic Community this Saturday
- USL Academy League Confirms Independence as One of Eight Founding Atlantic Division Members