San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win in OKC
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (4-0-1) beat OKC Energy FC (1-3-2) 3-0 at Taft Stadium on Saturday night. Goals from Cristian Parano, Callum Montgomery, and Ignacio Bailone earned the Alamo City club three points as it continued its unbeaten start to the 2020 season.
SAFC opened the scoring in the 31st minute when Parano found the ball at the top of the OKC box following a rebound and half-volleyed it past goalkeeper CJ Cochran to take the 1-0 lead. The goal marked the Argentine's third goal of the season and 10th overall since joining the Alamo City club ahead of the 2019 campaign.
The Alamo City club doubled its lead in the 70th minute when Parano whipped a ball into the OKC box on a set-piece, which Montgomery headed in to make it 2-0 while scoring his second goal of the season. The assist marked Parano's second of the season and earned him SWBC Man of the Match honors along with his goal on the night.
SAFC sealed the win in the 77th minute when a counter attack sparked by midfielder and team debutant Santiago Viera found Bailone and forward Luis Solignac in on goal. The Argentinians combined to score, earning Bailone his first goal for the Alamo City.
The win also marked goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair's second clean sheet of the season. The Canada native recorded three saves and two claims on the night.
Following the win, SAFC will travel to face FC Tulsa in a quick turnaround match on Wednesday, Aug. 12 at 7 p.m. The Oklahoma club currently trails SAFC by just five points in the standings and is the only other club in Group D who remains undefeated.
SAFC: 1-0, Cristian Parano 31'
SAFC: 2-0, Callum Montgomery (Cristian Parano assist) 70'
SAFC: 3-0, Ignacio Bailone (Luis Solignac assist) 77'
OKC: Yellow Card (Jose Hernandez) 11'
OKC: Yellow Card (Kyle Hyland) 21'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Gonzalo Di Renzo) 29'
OKC: Yellow Card (Frank Lopez) 42'
OKC Yellow Card (Nicolas Taravel) 69'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Ignacio Bailone) 73'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Dayne St. Clair; D: Connor Maloney, Mitchell Taintor, Hunter Gorskie (c), Callum Montgomery, Blake Smith; M: Zach Herivaux (Santiago Viera 49'), PC, Cristian Parano (Jose Gallegos 82'); F: Gonzalo Di Renzo (Ignacio Bailone 64'), Luis Solignac
Substitutions not used: Matthew Cardone, Kai Greene, Joshua Yaro, Tabort Etaka Preston
San Antonio FC carried their unbeaten streak to five matches with a 3-0 win over OKC Energy FC ...SAFC won just their second road match vs. the Energy in team history, taking their record against OKC to 3-1-7...San Antonio's 4-0-1 record matches their best start to a season (also, 2017)
SAFC scored at least three goals for the second consecutive match with the 3-0 win...in team history, SAFC has scored three goals 29 times and is 27-1-1 in those matches...SAFC is now 2-0-0 when scoring multiple goals in 2020
SAFC midfielder Cristian Parano earned SWBC Man of the Match honors after scoring a goal and recording an assist in the win...Parano has now recorded either a goal or an assist in all four matches since SAFC resumed the season...the Argentinian also added four shots and a 100 percent passing accuracy...marks the second time this season Parano has passed at a perfect clip (also, 7/19 at RGV)
San Antonio FC midfielder PC created one chance and added a 75.0 percent passing accuracy in the game...PC led SAFC with 66 total touches, 30 successful passes, 75.0 percent of duels won, 100 percent aerial duels won, four tackles and 10 possessions gained
SAFC midfielder Santiago Viera made his SAFC debut in the game, coming on as a second-half sub...recorded a 90.5 percent passing accuracy while adding three tackles and eight possessions gained in 40 minutes
SAFC defender Callum Montgomery scored his second goal for the club after heading in Cristian Parano's cross...Montgomery's two goals are tied for second-most on the club in 2020
San Antonio FC forward Ignacio Bailone scored his first goal for the club as Solignac added his second assist on the season
SAFC goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair saved 100 percent of shots faced (three saves) and earned his second clean sheet of the season
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 8, 2020
- Austin Bold FC Return to Winning Ways with 4-1 Victory over RGV FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Draws Charleston Battery 1-1 in First Home Game of the Season at the Sportsplex at Matthews - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Lose on the Road to El Paso Locomotive FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to FC Tulsa - Saint Louis FC
- Tyler Pasher Scores Once Again to Help Eleven Earn Road Point off Rivals - Indy Eleven
- FC Tulsa Streaks Past Saint Louis with 2-0 Road Victory - FC Tulsa
- Toros Fall 4-1 in Austin - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Legion FC Grinds out 1-0 Win over Atlanta United 2 - Birmingham Legion FC
- LouCity, Indy Eleven Even After First LIPAFC Meeting in 2020 - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Earn Home Victory against New York, 4-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win in OKC - San Antonio FC
- Battery Earn 1 Point in Draw with Charlotte - Charleston Battery
- Greens Fall to San Antonio, 0-3 - OKC Energy FC
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 1-0 against Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- San Diego Loyal SC Match vs. Las Vegas Lights FC Postponed - San Diego Loyal
- North Carolina FC Moves into Second Place in Group G with Win over Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- Tune-In Alert: Rising FC Hosts New Mexico Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLvTUL: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Forward Jose Gallegos Named Finalist for USL Championship Young Player of the Year
- San Antonio FC Eliminated from Playoffs After Extra Time Goal for New Mexico
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 to Austin Bold in Final Match of Regular Season
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Austin Bold FC