Austin Bold FC Return to Winning Ways with 4-1 Victory over RGV FC
Austin, TX - Austin Bold FC returned to winning ways with a 4-1 victory over Copa Tejas rivals Rio Grande Valley FC Toros on Saturday Night at Bold Stadium. The visitors took an early lead through Kembo Kibato in the match's initial minutes. Fortune shifted for The Bold when referee Luis Guardia issued a second yellow to Roberto Coronado, reducing RGV FC to 10 men. Austin took advantage of the situation with a pair of goals in the first half from Ismaila Jome and Ates Diouf, both their first for Austin Bold FC. The second half unfolded the same way with another for Jome and a stoppage-time goal from Billy Forbes to end the night 4-1. The Bold look to continue this form against San Antonio FC next Saturday, live on ESPN+.
The Toros jumped out to an impressive start in the 3' with a Kibato strike. RGV fullback Carter Manley's low cross snuck through Austin's defense to find an unmarked Kibato to tuck away a right-footed shot to the bottom right corner for a 0-1 lead.
In the 24', referee Guardia issued Coronado, who was given a yellow card earlier in the match, a second yellow card. The ensuing red card forced the visitors to finish the next 66 minutes with ten men.
Jome scored his first goal for The Bold in the 27' to bring the match level. Jorge Troncoso delivered a cross towards the back post to a streaking Jome to smash home a left-footed shot within the six-yard box past RGV goalkeeper Ryan Coulter. Jome turned from scorer to supplier in the 38' when he set up Diouf for his first goal in a Bold shirt. Jome's curving cross evaded the RGV defense and landed perfectly for Diouf to roof by Coulter.
The Austin fullback wasn't finished. Jome scored his second of the night in the 67'. A Xavi Baez corner kick was headed away by RGV defender Jonathan Jimenez but landed to Jome outside the box, who curled in a shot from distance.
Fobes added one more for The Bold in stoppage time to finish the night 4-1. Second-half substitute Thomas de Villardi slipped in a neat pass to Forbes, who placed a well taken shot into the bottom left corner.
Head Coach Marcelo Serrano on The Bold's improved performance.
"We are still building fitness from our team. The lads improved their performance tonight, and it felt good scoring four goals in a match."
Serrano on the league-wide hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic's impact on his team's performance.
"Unfortunately, the league is short this year because of the pandemic. Before the pandemic, the team was ready to win. Now we are rebuilding with the lack of proper training we had because of scheduling."
Serrano on the night's victory.
"Good to bring the W back to our stadium. Keep working, keep evolving, keep getting better."
Defender Ismaila Jome on getting his first two goals for Austin Bold FC.
"It feels amazing to be able to score my first goals for the team and help the team get back to winning. I continually work hard on improving my game and happy that work is paying off on the field."
Jome on what the win means for locker room mentality.
"It means everything, we all knew how important it was to get a win tonight. To be able to go out there and come back after conceding so early shows the fight in us, and we'll build on this win for next week."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 8, 2020
- Austin Bold FC Return to Winning Ways with 4-1 Victory over RGV FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Draws Charleston Battery 1-1 in First Home Game of the Season at the Sportsplex at Matthews - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Lose on the Road to El Paso Locomotive FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to FC Tulsa - Saint Louis FC
- Tyler Pasher Scores Once Again to Help Eleven Earn Road Point off Rivals - Indy Eleven
- FC Tulsa Streaks Past Saint Louis with 2-0 Road Victory - FC Tulsa
- Toros Fall 4-1 in Austin - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Legion FC Grinds out 1-0 Win over Atlanta United 2 - Birmingham Legion FC
- LouCity, Indy Eleven Even After First LIPAFC Meeting in 2020 - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Earn Home Victory against New York, 4-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win in OKC - San Antonio FC
- Battery Earn 1 Point in Draw with Charlotte - Charleston Battery
- Greens Fall to San Antonio, 0-3 - OKC Energy FC
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 1-0 against Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- San Diego Loyal SC Match vs. Las Vegas Lights FC Postponed - San Diego Loyal
- North Carolina FC Moves into Second Place in Group G with Win over Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- Tune-In Alert: Rising FC Hosts New Mexico Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLvTUL: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bold FC Stories
- USL Academy League Reveals Founding South-Central Division Members
- Austin Bold FC Finishes the Season with 2-1 Victory over San Antonio FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC V San Antonio FC
- Austin Bold FC Fall 2-0 to Rio Grande Valley FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC at Rio Grande Valley FC