STLFC Falls 2-0 to FC Tulsa
ST. LOUIS, Mo. - Saint Louis FC fell 2-0 against FC Tulsa at West Community Stadium in Match 7 of the USL Championship regular season.
FC Tulsa opened the scoring in the 43rd minute as Eric Bird hit a shot from distance that took a deflection to wrong-foot STLFC goalkeeper Kyle Morton. They would close out the game in second half stoppage time as DarÃo SuÃ¡rez slotted home from the top of the penalty area to claim all three points and FC Tulsa's first win at West Community Stadium. The result sees Saint Louis FC drop to 3-3-1 with 10 points in Group E while FC Tulsa remains undefeated at 2-0-2 with 8 points in Group D.
The first half saw Saint Louis FC on the front foot while FC Tulsa remained compact and used the space out wide to counter. The first chance would fall to Kadeem Dacres as he took a shot from the right side that was palmed away by Tulsa goalkeeper Sean Lewis in the 7th minute. FC Tulsa would respond with a shot from distance from Lebo Moloto which forced a diving save from Morton in the 14th minute. The STLFC goalkeeper would be called to make another save, this time from Ariel MartÃnez at the near post, in the 22nd minute. Saint Louis FC then nearly broke the deadlock in the 37th minute as Kyle Greig got on the end of a corner kick but his header crashed off the back post. FC Tulsa would then capitalize just before halftime as Bird let loose from distance and the ball hit off Wal Fall and past a helpless Morton to see the away side up 1-0 going into the break.
The second half was more of the same and Saint Louis FC looked to break down a compact and physical FC Tulsa side. Phanuel Kavita, the hero from Wednesday night's game, nearly equalized in the 68th minute but his shot dipped just over the crossbar following a throw-in. Just as Saint Louis FC continued to put the pressure on and look to replicate their last-gasp draw with Sporting KC II midweek, FC Tulsa would put the game away in the 91st minute as SuÃ¡rez found the bottom corner for his first goal of the season.
"It's kind of like the last game, I thought we did enough - especially in the first half - to control the game and they caused us some problems in transition, but it's the same problems in the final third to get quality service and quality runs in the box," said STLFC Head Coach Steve Trittschuh. "It's one of the things we worked on in training leading up to the game, but something is not clicking right now, so we just have to keep going."
Saint Louis FC vs. Sporting KC II - Saturday, August 15th at 7:00 p.m. CT
FC Tulsa vs. San Antonio FC - Wednesday, August 12th at 7:00 p.m. CT
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 8, 2020
- Austin Bold FC Return to Winning Ways with 4-1 Victory over RGV FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Draws Charleston Battery 1-1 in First Home Game of the Season at the Sportsplex at Matthews - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Lose on the Road to El Paso Locomotive FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to FC Tulsa - Saint Louis FC
- Tyler Pasher Scores Once Again to Help Eleven Earn Road Point off Rivals - Indy Eleven
- FC Tulsa Streaks Past Saint Louis with 2-0 Road Victory - FC Tulsa
- Toros Fall 4-1 in Austin - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Legion FC Grinds out 1-0 Win over Atlanta United 2 - Birmingham Legion FC
- LouCity, Indy Eleven Even After First LIPAFC Meeting in 2020 - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Earn Home Victory against New York, 4-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win in OKC - San Antonio FC
- Battery Earn 1 Point in Draw with Charlotte - Charleston Battery
- Greens Fall to San Antonio, 0-3 - OKC Energy FC
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 1-0 against Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- San Diego Loyal SC Match vs. Las Vegas Lights FC Postponed - San Diego Loyal
- North Carolina FC Moves into Second Place in Group G with Win over Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- Tune-In Alert: Rising FC Hosts New Mexico Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLvTUL: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.