LouCity, Indy Eleven Even After First LIPAFC Meeting in 2020
Rivals Louisville City FC and Indy Eleven will play three more times during the shortened USL Championship season, and it's those meetings in which the 2020 Louisville-Indianapolis Proximity Association Football Contest will be decided.
The boys in purple leveled with Indy Eleven in a 1-1 draw Saturday at Lynn Family Stadium, where a Devon "Speedy" Williams header provided early theatrics for the home side. Later, the inevitable happened when Indy's league-leading scorer, Tyler Pasher, equalized in front of an announced 4,850 fans.
As a result - a point to both clubs - the USL's Group E standings stood pat with Indy Eleven (5-2-1, 16 points) extending its lead slightly. LouCity (2-3-1, 7 points) remained fourth in the pod after the first of three games in a frantic eight days. The boys in purple host Sporting KC II on Wednesday before welcoming Loudoun United FC on Aug. 15.
Williams moved LouCity ahead on a third-minute header, much in part to teammate Napo Matsoso's work out wide. Moving away from his goal, Matsoso won a sliding challenge, turned and crossed, finding Williams on the other side of the box for the Jamaican international's second goal of the season.
LouCity continued pouring in chances during the first 45 minutes, going on to out-shoot Indy Eleven, 22-10 by the final whistle. Particularly, in the seventh minute the home side nearly doubled the lead when striker Cameron Lancaster's blocked shot landed at the foot of midfielder Brian Ownby, who pulled his try wide left.
Ownby had another nice look in the 68th minute this time forcing Indy Eleven's goalkeeper to make a save. And Williams took another headed chance in the 81st minute that would have been good if on frame.
By that point, the boys in purple were trying to break a tie. In the 59th minute, Indy Eleven's Andrew Carleton looped in a pinpoint cross to Pasher, who needed just one touch to equalize while racking up his seventh goal in eight games, best across the USL.
Outside of shots, the stat sheet is a balanced one, and that's where the LIPAFC rivals will leave it until finishing their season series Aug. 26 at Lynn Family Stadium before contests Sept. 5 and Sept. 16 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
Images from this story
Devon "Speedy" Williams of Louisville City FC gets a shot past the Indy Eleven
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 8, 2020
- Austin Bold FC Return to Winning Ways with 4-1 Victory over RGV FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Draws Charleston Battery 1-1 in First Home Game of the Season at the Sportsplex at Matthews - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Lose on the Road to El Paso Locomotive FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to FC Tulsa - Saint Louis FC
- Tyler Pasher Scores Once Again to Help Eleven Earn Road Point off Rivals - Indy Eleven
- FC Tulsa Streaks Past Saint Louis with 2-0 Road Victory - FC Tulsa
- Toros Fall 4-1 in Austin - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Legion FC Grinds out 1-0 Win over Atlanta United 2 - Birmingham Legion FC
- LouCity, Indy Eleven Even After First LIPAFC Meeting in 2020 - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Earn Home Victory against New York, 4-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win in OKC - San Antonio FC
- Battery Earn 1 Point in Draw with Charlotte - Charleston Battery
- Greens Fall to San Antonio, 0-3 - OKC Energy FC
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 1-0 against Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- San Diego Loyal SC Match vs. Las Vegas Lights FC Postponed - San Diego Loyal
- North Carolina FC Moves into Second Place in Group G with Win over Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- Tune-In Alert: Rising FC Hosts New Mexico Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLvTUL: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- LouCity Quartet Name USL Award Finalists
- LouCity Legend Spencer Transitioning to New Role
- LouCity Lands Club-Record Four on All-League First Team
- Soccer Holdings' Speaker Series Continues with 'Race in Voting' Panel
- LouCity Bows out with Conference Final Loss to Tampa Bay