Greens Fall to San Antonio, 0-3
Missed chances and defensive errors once again cost the Energy FC as San Antonio FC picked up all three points Saturday night at Taft Stadium.
The visitors took the lead through Parano in the 31st minute via somewhat fortunate circumstances. Christian Ibeagha's attempted clearance fell right to Parano near the top of the box, and the Argentine's first-time shot deflected back off Ibeagha to wrong foot CJ Cochran and into the back of the net.
The Greens nearly leveled in the fourth minute of first-half stoppage time, as Frank Lopez's effort just inside the top of the penalty area took a couple of deflections and nearly beat San Antonio goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair, but the goalkeeper was able to scramble back across his goal to make a fingertip save.
San Antonio doubled the lead in the 70th minute via a set piece. Parano's inswinging free kick was met by Callum Montgomery and headed past Cochran.
Ignacio Bailone sealed the game in the 77th minute with a curling, left-footed effort from near the top of the D.
Energy FC remains in fourth place in Group D on five points. San Antonio sits first on 13 points.
The Greens are back at Taft Stadium on Saturday, August 15 against Rio Grande Valley FC at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at https://www.energyfc.com/tickets or by calling 235-KICK (5425).
SA: Parano, 31'
SA: Montgomery, 70' (Parano)
SA: Bailone, 77' (Solignac)
OKC: Hernandez, Yellow Card, 12'
OKC: Hyland, Yellow Card, 21'
SA: Di Renzo, Yellow Card, 29'
OKC: Lopez, Yellow Card, 42'
OKC: Taravel, Yellow Card, 69'
SA: Bailone, Yellow Card, 73'
OKC Starting XI: GK: CJ Cochran; D: Zach Ellis-Hayden, Christian Ibeagha, Nicolas Taravel, Kyle Hyland (Joe Amico, 78'); M: Omar Gordon (Arun Basuljevic, 46'), Charlie Ward (Brad Dunwell, 73'), Rafael Garcia (c), Jose Hernandez; F: Jaime Chavez (Jon Brown, 78'), Frank Lopez
Subs Not Used: Cody Laurendi, Atiba Harris, Tucker Stephenson
SA Starting XI: GK: Dayne St. Clair; D: Blake Smith, Callum Montgomery, Hunter Gorskie (c), Mitchell Taintor, Connor Maloney; M: Victor Giro, Zachary Herivaux (Santiago Viera, 49'), Blake Smith: F: Luis Solignac, Cristian Parano (Jose Gallegos, 82'), Gonzalo Di Renzo (Ignacio Bailone, 64')
Subs Not Used: Matt Cardone, Josh Yaro, Kai Greene, Preston Tabort Etaka
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 8, 2020
- Austin Bold FC Return to Winning Ways with 4-1 Victory over RGV FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Draws Charleston Battery 1-1 in First Home Game of the Season at the Sportsplex at Matthews - Charlotte Independence
- Switchbacks FC Lose on the Road to El Paso Locomotive FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- STLFC Falls 2-0 to FC Tulsa - Saint Louis FC
- Tyler Pasher Scores Once Again to Help Eleven Earn Road Point off Rivals - Indy Eleven
- FC Tulsa Streaks Past Saint Louis with 2-0 Road Victory - FC Tulsa
- Toros Fall 4-1 in Austin - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Legion FC Grinds out 1-0 Win over Atlanta United 2 - Birmingham Legion FC
- LouCity, Indy Eleven Even After First LIPAFC Meeting in 2020 - Louisville City FC
- Hounds Earn Home Victory against New York, 4-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Earns Emphatic Road Win in OKC - San Antonio FC
- Battery Earn 1 Point in Draw with Charlotte - Charleston Battery
- Greens Fall to San Antonio, 0-3 - OKC Energy FC
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 1-0 against Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- San Diego Loyal SC Match vs. Las Vegas Lights FC Postponed - San Diego Loyal
- North Carolina FC Moves into Second Place in Group G with Win over Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- Tune-In Alert: Rising FC Hosts New Mexico Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLvTUL: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.