'Cats Lose Home Finale, Gear up for Playoffs
TROY, NY - The Tri-City ValleyCats lost their regular season home finale at Joseph L. Bruno Stadium by a score of 10-1 against the Aberdeen Ironbirds on Tuesday night.
Tri-City will now hit the road to begin a six-game in-division road trip with their sights set on clinching a spot in the New York-Penn League Playoffs.
Tuesday night's game was highlighted by four home runs, including one that brought home the ValleyCats' only run.
Ramiro Rodriguez hit his second home run of the season in the sixth inning for the ValleyCats' second and final hit of the night.
For Aberdeen, J.C. Escarra hit one of the Ironbirds' home runs, while Nick Horvath went deep twice for the other two.
Jose Alberto Rivera started the game for Tri-City and picked up the loss, giving up two runs (one earned) in three innings of work.
The Ironbirds also scored six runs off of Jose Bravo, who pitched through the fifth and sixth innings.
Now with a record of 38-31, the ValleyCats maintain their lead atop the Stedler division standings by 3.5 games over the Vermont Lake Monsters.
Tri-City will now hit the road for three games against the third-place Lowell Spinners, followed by three games in Burlington, Vermont against the Lake Monsters.
Entering their home stretch of the regular season, the ValleyCats' magic number stands at three.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 28, 2018
- Lake Monsters Win Streak Snapped With 8-6 Loss To Brooklyn - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Spikes Felled by Muckdogs' Pair of Homers in 8-1 Defeat - State College Spikes
- 'Cats Lose Home Finale, Gear up for Playoffs - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Yankees Trip up 'Gades - Hudson Valley Renegades
- CT Tigers Lose Home Finale to Lowell, 7-0 - Connecticut Tigers
- Auburn Takes Victory in Series Finale - West Virginia Black Bears
- Bats Back Pitching In Win - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Cyclones Fall to Monsters, 9-3 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Muckdogs Game Notes - vs. State College - Batavia Muckdogs
- Food Fight: Staten Island Pizza Rats Face off against Vermont Maple Kings - Staten Island Yankees
- 'Birds Bounce Back with Big Win - Aberdeen IronBirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tri-City ValleyCats Stories
- ValleyCats to Partner with Harlem Globetrotters, Make-A-Wish Northeast New York, on Swishes for Wishes Night at "The Joe"
- Introducing the 2019 ValleyCats Coaching Staff
- J.D. Martinez to be Immortalized as ValleyCats Bobblehead
- 'Cats to Host Labor Day Matinee, 15 Fireworks Shows in 2019
- ValleyCats Announce 2019 Regular Season Schedule