Cardinals Even Series with 4-3 Win in Frisco
FRISCO, Tx. - The Springfield Cardinals (27-31, 57-71) bounced back with a 4-3 win against the Frisco RoughRiders (28-29, 61-65) to even the series on Wednesday night.
W: LHP Evan Kruczynski (3-8)
L: RHP Richelson Pena (0-4)
S: RHP Connor Jones (8)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
-Springfield swung in front in the top of the third with a two-run double from LF Juan Yepez, who came home two outs later on an RBI double by DH Yariel Gonzalez to open a 3-0 lead.
-Frisco C Tony Sanchez shaved the deficit to 3-1 in the bottom of the third with a leadoff solo home run.
-As LHP Evan Kruczynski dug in with 12 straight outs from the third through the sixth, the Cardinals added a run to the lead in the top of the sixth with an RBI single from C Julio Rodriguez to make it 4-1.
-Frisco opened the bottom of the eighth with four straight singles, scoring one run on a fielding error on RF Johan Mieses and another on an RBI walk by 3B Andretty Cordero to pull within one run, 4-3. With the bases loaded and one down, RHP Will Latcham took over and retired the next two batters in order, stranding three runners and keeping Springfield ahead by one.
-RHP Connor Jones then slammed the door with a perfect bottom of the ninth, striking out the last two batters of the game to end the 4-3 win for Springfield.
-LF Juan Yepez's two-run double in the third marked his first double and RBIs in Double-A.
-DH Yariel Gonzalez went 2x4 with an RBI double and has hit safely in eight of his last nine games.
-SS Rayder Ascanio also went 2x4 with a double, hitting safely in nine of his last 10 games.
-RHP Connor Jones notched his eighth save of the season, with five of his saves coming in his last seven outings.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
-The Cardinals continue the final road trip of the season on Thursday in Frisco at 7:05pm. Catch all the action live on Jock 98.7FM and SpringfieldCardinals.com with the Harbell's Grill and Sports Bar Pregame Show starting at 6:50pm.
-The Cardinals return home for the final homestand of the 2019 Regular Season from Monday, August 26 - Monday, September 2. Check out all the upcoming fun and get your tickets today at SpringfieldCardinals.com/promotions.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 22, 2019
- Hounds Dominate Naturals, Win Series - Midland RockHounds
- Riders Fall in Finale with Cardinals - Frisco RoughRiders
- Amarillo Tops Drillers in Rain-Shortened Game - Tulsa Drillers
- 'Hounds Score Early and Often, Take Rubber-Match, 9-1 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Sod Poodles to Host Final Regular-Season Homestand at Hodgetown - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Seven Days of Giveaways Wraps up Hooks Regular Season - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Jonathan Hernandez Ascends to Major Leagues with Rangers - Frisco RoughRiders
- Cardinals Even Series with 4-3 Win in Frisco - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- New Track-Or-Treat Time Slots Open Thursday...Space Limited
- Track-Or-Treat Registration Now Open
- Carlson Or Gorecki Or Mercado Or Swauger? Who Gets Your Vote?
- Celebrate Halloween with the Cardinals on October30
- Non-Profit Hero of the Week: Sammy's Window/FosterAdopt Connect: Presented by American National