Amarillo Tops Drillers in Rain-Shortened Game
TULSA - The Tulsa Drillers lineup hit three home runs on Thursday night at ONEOK Field, but it was not enough to keep pace with Amarillo. The Sod Poodles broke a tie game with a big seven-run third inning and defeated the Drillers 9-3, in a game shortened to just seven innings because of rain. The result kept Tulsa from completing a three-game series sweep, but it was only the second win in seven games at ONEOK Field this season for the Poodles.
Starting pitcher Markus Solbach had surrendered only three total earned runs in his first four starts for the Drillers, but the native of Germany struggled with the Sod Poodles lineup.
In the top of the first inning, four straight singles, including run-scoring hits by Owen Miller and Luis Torrens, gave Amarillo a quick 2-0 lead.
In the home half of the first, Jeter Downs cut the Drillers deficit in half with an opposite-field solo home run. An inning later, Carlos Rincon evened things at 2-2 with a home run into the bullpen in right field.
Things unraveled for Solbach and the Drillers in the third. The inning started with a pair of singles and a walk that loaded the bases. Torrens walked to bring home a run, and Hudson Potts followed with a two-run double. After run-scoring singles by Kyle Overstreet, pitcher Lake Bachar and Taylor Trammell extended the Amarillo lead to 8-2, Solbach's night came to an end.
Drew Avans provided the Drillers third homer of the night in the bottom of the fifth. The outfielder's solo shot, his fifth of the season, would pull the Drillers to within 8-3, but they would get no closer before rain from a strong thunderstorm put an end to the night.
WHAT YOU MISSED
*The Drillers bullpen continued its recent strong form. After Solbach's departure, Logan Salow and Jordan Sheffield combined to hold Amarillo without a hit or a run in a combined 4.2 innings. The Tulsa bullpen has now worked 11 straight innings without allowing a hit.
*Despite the loss, the Drillers had guaranteed their third straight winning season thanks to Wednesday's victory over the Poodles. Tulsa has not suffered a losing season since 2016.
*Amarillo starting pitcher Bachar worked 6.2 innings to claim the victory. It was his eighth win, tying him for most in the Texas League this season.
*Connor Wong had two hits, extending his hitting streak to six straight games. He has hit safely in 23 of the 30 games he has started since joining the Drillers.
*The Drillers will open their final home series of the regular season Friday night with the first of three games against Corpus Christi.
UP NEXT: Corpus Christi at Tulsa, Thursday, August 22, 7:05 PM at ONEOK Field. RHP Cristian Javier (6-3, 2.07 ERA) versus RHP Edwin Uceta (6-2, 3.32 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 22, 2019
- Hounds Dominate Naturals, Win Series - Midland RockHounds
- Riders Fall in Finale with Cardinals - Frisco RoughRiders
- Amarillo Tops Drillers in Rain-Shortened Game - Tulsa Drillers
- 'Hounds Score Early and Often, Take Rubber-Match, 9-1 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Sod Poodles to Host Final Regular-Season Homestand at Hodgetown - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Seven Days of Giveaways Wraps up Hooks Regular Season - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Jonathan Hernandez Ascends to Major Leagues with Rangers - Frisco RoughRiders
- Cardinals Even Series with 4-3 Win in Frisco - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Drillers Stories
- BOO-Tacular and Dodgers Watch Party on Saturday
- Limited Edition Mystery Box Featuring Cody Bellinger Bobblehead on Sale Now
- Dodger Game 1 Watch Party Tuesday at ONEOK Field
- Join Us Saturday, October 24 for Hornsby's Halloween BOO-Tacular
- OU-Texas Watch Party Saturday at ONEOK Field