Capital City Takes Round One over Greensboro
(GREENSBORO, N.C.) - The Greensboro Swarm, the NBA G League affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets, fell to the Capital City Go-Go (Washington Wizards affiliate), 120-110, on Friday after a back-and-forth battle at the Fieldhouse at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The Swarm fall to 8-28 on the season while the Go-Go improve to 19-17.
Coming off a record 51-point performance Wednesday night, Dwayne Bacon, on assignment from the Charlotte Hornets, scored 44 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in over 40 minutes of play. Hornets two-way guard Kobi Simmons was a key distributor, dishing out nine assists to go along with 22 points and six rebounds in 45 minutes.
The Swarm came out hot in the first quarter, starting the game on a 10-2 run. Bacon carried the team early with 16 points on 7-for-11 shooting as Greensboro held a, 31-24, lead after 12 minutes of play. The teams exchanged runs in the second quarter with eight lead changes to be knotted up, 56-56, at the half.
The Go-Go edged the Swarm, 28-25, in the third quarter to hold a narrow three-point lead heading into the final frame (84-81). The score was tied up, 102-102, with just over five minutes left in the game when Capital City sparked a, 13-2, run to secure the victory.
Donte Ingram, making his second start of the season, posted a season-high 14 points while Tai Odiase was a menace in the paint, swatting a season-high six blocks. Thomas Welsh finished with 13 points and 10 rebounds, marking his 12th double-double of the season.
For Capital City, Ike Iroegbu exploded off the bench for a season-high 30 points on 9-for-14 shooting. Six Go-Go players posted double-digit performances, including 17 points from Admiral Schofield and 16 points from Garrison Mathews. Mike Cobbins was strong off the bench, tallying 10 points and collecting 14 rebounds for his third double-double of the season.
Greensboro returns to the floor Saturday night at the Fieldhouse as the Swarm host a rematch against the Capital City at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 21, 2020
- Vipers Surge Past Legends in Second Half - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Fort Wayne Gets by Westchester - Westchester Knicks
- Blue Coats Fall to Charge in First Game After Break - Delaware Blue Coats
- Everyone Deserves Second Chance, Suns Make the Sacrifice - Northern Arizona Suns
- Thomas and Hall Shine in Drive Victory - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Complete Season Sweep in Delaware - Canton Charge
- Capital City Takes Round One over Greensboro - Greensboro Swarm
- Magic Fall to Nets at Home - Lakeland Magic
- Charge Acquire Rights to Devyn Marble - Canton Charge
- Warriors Acquire Zach Norvell Jr in Trade - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Warriors Acquire Alex Robinson in Trade - Santa Cruz Warriors
- South Bay Acquires Returning Player Rights to Juan Toscano-Anderson and 2020 First Round Pick - South Bay Lakers
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Dusty Hannahs to 10-Day Contract - Memphis Hustle
- Go-Go to Host STEM Education Day Presented by Deloitte - Capital City Go-Go
- Detroit Pistons Assign Khyri Thomas to Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Greensboro Acquires Trey Phills - Greensboro Swarm
- Oklahoma City Blue Acquires Scotty Hopson - Oklahoma City Blue
- Minnesota Timberwolves Recall Jacob Evans III from G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Hornets Sign Joe Chealey to 10-Day Contract - Greensboro Swarm
- Warriors Rally Late in Fourth, Beat Clippers, 92-90 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Clips Fall to Santa Cruz in Final Minute - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Austin Spurs Come Back to Defeat South Bay Lakers 128-124 - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Greensboro Swarm Drop Matinee to Ignite
- Greensboro Swarm Defeated by Memphis Hustle
- Greensboro Swarm to Broadcast Four 2021 NBA G League Single-Site Games Locally on WMYV My48
- Hornets Assign Nick Richards to Greensboro Swarm
- Blue Coats Cruise Past Swarm to Improve to 4-0