Canes Recall Saarela from Charlotte
RALEIGH, NC - Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forward Aleksi Saarela from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL) on an emergency basis and reassigned defenseman Jake Bean to Charlotte.
Saarela, 22, posted 54 points (30g, 24a) in 69 AHL games with the Checkers this season, leading the team in goals and setting career highs in goals, assists and points. The 5'10", 200-pound forward tied for the AHL league lead in game-winning goals (9) and finished tied for second in the league in overtime goals (3). Saarela is looking to become the first player in franchise history to make his NHL playoff debut before making his NHL regular season debut. The Helsinki, Finland, native has registered 107 points (61g, 46a) in 147 career AHL games with Charlotte. Saarela was drafted by the Rangers in the third round, 89th overall, of the 2015 NHL Draft. He was acquired by Carolina from New York along with a second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft (Luke Martin) in exchange for Eric Staal and a second-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft (Artur Kayumov) on Feb. 28, 2016.
Bean, 20, was recalled on April 7 and served as a healthy extra during the Hurricanes' last four games. He registered 44 points (13g, 31a) in 70 AHL games with the Checkers during the regular season, finishing second among rookie AHL defensemen in goals and points and third in assists. The 6'1", 181-pound defenseman made his NHL debut on Nov. 27 at Montreal and played two NHL games with Carolina this season. The Calgary, Alta., native was drafted by Carolina in the first round, 13th overall, of the 2016 NHL Draft.
For information about 2019 Hurricanes playoff tickets, please visit www.CarolinaHurricanes.com/tickets, or call 1-866-NHL-CANES (1-866-645-2263).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Bakersfield in Game One, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Playoff Opener - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Drop Game 1 - Chicago Wolves
- Bears Drop Game 1 in Double Overtime to Sound Tigers - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Fall to Monsters, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Top Crunch 5-3, Grab 1-0 Lead in North Division Semi-Final - Cleveland Monsters
- Blackhawks Agree to Extension with Hogs Team MVP Nilsson - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Wild Signs Three to Amateur Try-Out Agreements - Iowa Wild
- 2019 Playoff Preview: P-Bruins vs Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Wolves' Carr Voted AHL's Most Valuable Player - Chicago Wolves
- Chicago's Daniel Carr Wins Les Cunningham Award as 2018-19 American Hockey League MVP - AHL
- Griffins' Playoff Promotions in Full Effect against Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Kick off Best-Of-Five Series Tonight in Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Capitals Recall Smith-Pelly, Re-Assign Vanecek to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Canes Recall Saarela from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 7 p.m. (Atlantic Division Semifinals - Game 1) - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Begin Playoff Journey Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Hunker Down Defensively, Even Series at 1-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Drop Game Two, 5-3; Series Even - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.