Blackhawks Agree to Extension with Hogs Team MVP Nilsson
ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Chicago Blackhawks today announced that they have agreed to terms with forward Jacob Nilsson on a one-year contract extension that runs through the 2019-20 season.
Nilsson, 25, was originally signed by the Blackhawks on May 31, 2018 and spent the majority of the 2018-19 season with the AHL's Rockford IceHogs. He was named the team's Most Valuable Player after totaling 32 points (15g, 17a) and finishing second on the team with eight multi-point efforts in 61 games. The forward also helped anchored Rockford's power-play unit, tying for the team lead and ranking sixth among all AHL rookies with eight power-play goals during the 2018-19 campaign.
The Morrum, Sweden native was also recalled by Chicago last season on Dec. 22. He made his NHL debut the following night against Florida and totaled 21 shifts over two appearances for the Blackhawks.
Prior to making his North American pro debut, Nilsson skated with Mora IK in Sweden for three seasons from 2015-18. He played under former IceHogs and current Blackhawks head coach, Jeremy Colliton, during the his first two years in Allsvenskan and helped the club earn a promotion to the Swedish Hockey League (SHL) by notching a career-best 42 points (20g, 22a) in 46 games during the 2016-17 campaign.
Season Tickets for 2019-20 on Sale Now:
Don't miss a moment of the action next season. Reserve your seats for the IceHogs' 21st season of professional hockey in Rockford and 13th as the top AHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks. The IceHogs' home opener is set for Oct. 12 and ticket packages begin as low as $132 for an eight-game mini pack. Contact us at (815) 847-6399 or visit icehogs.com to claim your spots for this upcoming season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Bakersfield in Game One, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Playoff Opener - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Drop Game 1 - Chicago Wolves
- Bears Drop Game 1 in Double Overtime to Sound Tigers - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Fall to Monsters, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Top Crunch 5-3, Grab 1-0 Lead in North Division Semi-Final - Cleveland Monsters
- Blackhawks Agree to Extension with Hogs Team MVP Nilsson - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Wild Signs Three to Amateur Try-Out Agreements - Iowa Wild
- 2019 Playoff Preview: P-Bruins vs Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Wolves' Carr Voted AHL's Most Valuable Player - Chicago Wolves
- Chicago's Daniel Carr Wins Les Cunningham Award as 2018-19 American Hockey League MVP - AHL
- Griffins' Playoff Promotions in Full Effect against Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Kick off Best-Of-Five Series Tonight in Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Capitals Recall Smith-Pelly, Re-Assign Vanecek to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Canes Recall Saarela from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 7 p.m. (Atlantic Division Semifinals - Game 1) - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Begin Playoff Journey Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Hunker Down Defensively, Even Series at 1-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Drop Game Two, 5-3; Series Even - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Get a Free IceHogs Block Figurine at LEGO/Autism Awareness Night
- Blackhawks Night Returns to Rockford on Friday, February 7
- $5 Kids Tickets, Console, Poster and Popsocket Giveaways Highlight Monday Matinee
- IceHogs Unveil Specialty Jerseys for Autism Awareness/LEGO Night January 25
- IceHogs Announce Schedule Change with Admirals