Wolves Drop Game 1
ROSEMONT, Illinois -- The Chicago Wolves opened the scoring but gave up goals at crucial points in the game, falling 5-1 in Game 1 of the Central Division Semifinals on Friday night at Allstate Arena.
Forward Tye McGinn scored and goaltender Oscar Dansk (0-1) saved 26 of 30 shots for the top-seeded Wolves (0-1).
Colin Campbell, Matt Puempel, Dominic Turgeon, Turner Elson and Dominik Shine scored for fourth-seeded Grand Rapids (1-0). Netminder Harri Sateri (1-0) recorded 29 saves.
"We actually had a really good first period," said Wolves head coach Rocky Thompson. "We came out well. I thought our second-period start was OK, too. I really am disappointed in how our team responded in the last 30 minutes. I thought we were deflated after that (Puempel) goal went in."
McGinn opened up postseason scoring for the Wolves, giving the home team a 1-0 advantage 8:28 into the first period. Center Cody Glass won an offensive-zone faceoff over to McGinn, who one-timed the puck between Sateri's pads.
Campbell tied the game at the 19:18 mark, capitalizing on traffic in front of Dansk's net to make things even at the first intermission.
Puempel scored the lone goal of the second period, converting on a Griffins power play at 10:01 when a puck bounced off the end board to him at the back door.
Turgeon widened the lead to 3-1 at the 13:10 mark in the third before Elson scored an empty-net goal at 17:06 and Shine scored at 17:39.
The Wolves host Game 2 of the best-of-five Central Division Semifinals at 7 p.m. Saturday. For the best ticket specials, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Bakersfield in Game One, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Playoff Opener - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Drop Game 1 - Chicago Wolves
- Bears Drop Game 1 in Double Overtime to Sound Tigers - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Fall to Monsters, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Top Crunch 5-3, Grab 1-0 Lead in North Division Semi-Final - Cleveland Monsters
- Blackhawks Agree to Extension with Hogs Team MVP Nilsson - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Wild Signs Three to Amateur Try-Out Agreements - Iowa Wild
- 2019 Playoff Preview: P-Bruins vs Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Wolves' Carr Voted AHL's Most Valuable Player - Chicago Wolves
- Chicago's Daniel Carr Wins Les Cunningham Award as 2018-19 American Hockey League MVP - AHL
- Griffins' Playoff Promotions in Full Effect against Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Kick off Best-Of-Five Series Tonight in Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Capitals Recall Smith-Pelly, Re-Assign Vanecek to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Canes Recall Saarela from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 7 p.m. (Atlantic Division Semifinals - Game 1) - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Begin Playoff Journey Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Hunker Down Defensively, Even Series at 1-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Drop Game Two, 5-3; Series Even - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.