Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, January 19 at Edmonton
CALGARY HITMEN (21-17-3-1, 46 pts.) at EDMONTON OIL KINGS (24-14-4-4, 56 pts.) Saturday - 1:30 p.m. MT - Rogers Place
The Calgary Hitmen play the first of back-to-back games this weekend against teams from their own division as they visit the Edmonton Oil Kings this afternoon at Rogers Place. Calgary hasn't played since last Saturday's 7-3 loss in Prince Albert to the CHL's top-ranked Raiders. Parker Kelly paced the Raiders attack scoring twice and adding an assist. Ozzy Wiesblatt, Brayden Pachal, Cole Fonstad, Dante Hannoun and Brett Leason also scored for the home side. Riley Stotts netted a pair of Calgary goals, his 13th and 14th of the season, with Luke Coleman adding a shorthanded marker. The Raiders, who built period leads of 2-0 and 5-2, outshot the Hitmen 41-24. Calgary, 21-17-3-1, enters play today having won six of their last seven games.
BROADCAST INFORMATION Radio: Sportsnet 960-The Fan TV: Sportsnet Webcast: WHL Live at whl.neulion.com
- Carson Focht (1g, 1a) and James Malm (2a) both have points in back-to-back games.
- Dakota Krebs (1g, 2a) has points in two of his last three outings.
- Mark Kastelic (2g, 3a) and Vladislav Yeryomenko (3a) saw their three-game point streaks end last Saturday in Prince Albert.
NOTEWORTHY VS. EDMONTON: Today is the fifth of eight regular season meetings between the two teams. Calgary is 1-2-1-0 against Edmonton with the Oil Kings outscoring the Hitmen by a combined 19-12. Jake Kryski (5g, 2a) is Calgary's top performer in the season series with seven points while Egor Zamula (5a) is next with five. The departed Brett Kemp (1g, 4a) leads the Oil Kings with five points. Quinn Benjafield (2g, 2a), Andrew Fyten (2g, 2a), and David Kope (1g, 3a) are all next with four points each.
2018-19 SERIES RECAP Sept. 29/18 at CGY: EDM 6 CGY 3...The Oil Kings took a 4-0 lead to the third period. Dec. 1/18 at CGY: CGY 4 EDM 3 OT...Kaden Elder scored the winner 2:30 into the extra session. Dec. 15/18 at EDM: EDM 3 CGY 2 OT...Andrew Fyten scored the winner 40 seconds into extra time. Dec. 28/18 at EDM: EDM 7 CGY 3...Edmonton jumped out to a 4-0 second period lead.
INSIDE THE SERIES Shots on Goal: CGY 141 EDM 143 Power Plays: CGY 4-16 (25%) EDM 2-19 (10.5%)
BOUNCING BACK: Since starting the season 0-5-1-0, the Hitmen have gone 21-12-2-1.
RECENT RUN: Calgary has picked up 34 of a possible 46 points in their last 23 games posting a record of 16-5-1-1. Special teams have been a major driver with the power play a combined 25-80 (31.3%) and the penalty kill 83-94 (88.3%).
WHL TOP 15: Mark Kastelic is in a three-way tie for fifth in the WHL in goals with 29 and is tied for 13th in shots on goal with 166 while his 15 power play markers lead the league. Egor Zamula is sixth in defencemen scoring with 39 points while Dakota Krebs is in a four-way tie for 10th in plus/minus among defenceman at +19.
CAREER YEARS: With still 38.3 percent of the regular seasons schedule remaining, four Hitmen players have already posted career highs in point totals. Their previous high is in brackets: Mark Kastelic 46pts (45), Kaden Elder 34pts (32), Egor Zamula 39pts (18) and Jackson van de Leest 13pts (5).
FAST FACTS: Entering play today, rookie Jack McNaughton has made 17 consecutive starts in goal...Luke Coleman, James Malm and Kaden Elder all have 55 career goals. Mark Kastelic has 10 multi-goal games this season...Luke Coleman has scored in four of his last six games.
DID YOU KNOW?: Calgary has scored 16 even strength goals in the last five games...The Hitmen are 7-11-2-0 against teams from the Central Division ...Calgary has killed 31 of their last 34 shorthanded situations.
TRADE WINDS: The WHL Trade Deadline passed on Jan. 10 with Calgary acquiring the rights to 17-year-old forward Quinn Olson from Prince Albert in exchange for 17-year-old forward Bryce Bader. The deal also sees the two teams swap conditional sixth-round picks in the 2021 WHL Bantam Draft. Olson is playing in the Alberta Junior Hockey League with the Okotoks Oilers where he is tied for second in team scoring with 46 points (17g, 29a) in 38 games. The Calgary, AB product is the younger brother of Tri-City Americans winger and Anaheim Ducks prospect Kyle Olson.
PLAYOFF CHASE: With 26 games remaining in the regular season Calgary holds the final Eastern Conference Wildcard spot, sitting four points ahead of the Brandon Wheat Kings. Brandon hosts Kootenay tonight in the second half of back-to-back home dates against the ICE after beating Kootenay 5-4 in overtime last night.
MAYFAIR DIAGNOSTICS INJURY REPORT: Carl Stankowski (week-to-week, lower body), Tye Carriere (day-to-day, upper body), Jake Kryski (indefinite, upper body), Cael Zimmerman (one week, lower body).
ROSTER MOVE: On Jan. 18, the Hitmen added Brayden Peters to the roster as an affiliate player. The 16-year-old product of Taber, AB has played AAA Midget with the Lethbridge Hurricanes this season. In 13 games he is 10-3 with a league-leading 1.74 goals against average, three shutouts and .936 save percentage.
CORRAL SERIES LUNCHEON: The Hitmen are reuniting the greatest junior hockey line in Calgary history for "The Corral Series Luncheon" sponsored by Sportsnet 960-The Fan. The event from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 31 in the Scotiabank Saddledome Chrysler Club will feature a Hot Stove Panel with the trio of Danny Gare, Jerry Holland and Mike Rogers. That line combined for 806 points during three seasons with the Calgary Centennials from 1971-74. Tickets for the luncheon are $60 each (plus applicable fees and taxes) and include the following: - Buffet Lunch - Special Corral Series gift - Additional guests to help celebrate hockey in the Stampede Corral A table of eight tickets is also available for $400 (plus applicable fees and taxes) with full details available online at http://hitmenhockey.com/corral-series-luncheon In February; the Hitmen will play a trio of regular season games at the historic Stampede Corral in "The Corral Series" presented by Adrenalin Source for Sports. As a tribute to the city's hockey history, the Hitmen are dedicating each game on Feb. 1, 6 and 8 to former local teams who once called the Stampede Corral home by wearing commemorative jerseys of the Calgary Centennials, Wranglers and Cowboys. Tickets are still available with three-game pack starting at $59.25 for kids and $74.25 for adults.
IN THE COMMUNITY: On Tuesday, Jan. 15, the Hitmen were invited to Siksika Nation in a partnership to learn about the Blackfoot culture while at the same time act as mentors for youth. Upon arrival the team was greeted by the elders and took part in a prayer and smudging ceremony. They then held a team practice with more than 200 kids and families in attendance. During the skate General Manager Jeff Chynoweth and Vice President/Alternate Governor Mike Moore hosted a question and answer session with coaches. Post-practice the Hitmen signed autographs and were treated to a meal followed by a traditional drumming and dancing ceremony.
HITMEN MONTH-BY-MONTH: September (0-3-1-0), October (4-6-1-0), November (6-5-0-1), December (6-2-1-0), January (5-1-0-0).
All times in MT. Schedule subject to change.
DATE OPPONENT TIME BROADCAST
Jan. 20 vs. Red Deer 4:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Jan. 25 vs. Prince George 7:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Jan. 27 vs. Kootenay 2:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Jan. 29 at Regina 6:00 p.m. Sportsnet 960-The Fan
Feb. 1 vs. Brandon 7:00 p.m. Sportsnet.ca/960 (Alt Stream)
Upcoming home game highlights include: - Ashley HomeStore - Hope To Dream Day and Sunday Funday presented by Ricky's All Day Grill on Jan. 20 vs. RD - CBE Night on Jan. 25 vs. PG
- Dodge Skate with the Hitmen on Jan. 27 vs. KTN - The Corral Series - Presented by Adrenalin Source for Sports on Feb.1 vs. BDN, Feb. 6 vs. REG and Feb. 8 vs. PA. - Family Game and Sunday Funday presented by Ricky's All Day Grill on Feb. 10 vs. MJ
- Lunar Celebration/Calgary Catholic on Feb. 15 vs. MH - TELUS BE BRAVE on Feb. 27 vs. SC - Multicultural Night on Mar. 1 vs. BDN - WHL Suits up with Don Cherry to Promote Organ Donation - Presented by RE/MAX and Sunday Funday presented by Ricky's All Day Grill on Mar. 3 vs. KTN - One Ticket, One Tree on Mar. 8 vs. EDM - Fan Appreciation and Sunday Funday presented by Ricky's All Day Grill on Mar. 17 vs. EDM
CAREER MILESTONE WATCH
- Kaden Elder three assists away from 50 and nine games shy of 300.
- Hunter Campbell played game 100 on Jan. 12 in Prince Albert.
- Riley Stotts recorded his 50th assist on Jan. 9 in Moose Jaw.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Portland Explodes for a Five-Goal Third Period, Beats Everett 5-1 - Portland Winterhawks
- Pats Can't Rebound from 3-0 Deficit - Regina Pats
- Hitmen Edged by Oil Kings, 3-2 - Calgary Hitmen
- Preview: Blades Visit Queen City Looking for Weekend Sweep - Saskatoon Blades
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland vs. Everett - Game #44 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 46 vs Swift Current - Medicine Hat Tigers
- ICE, Wheat Kings Clash in Rematch at Westoba Place - Kootenay Ice
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, January 19 at Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Take Weekend Series Opener - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Host Back Half of Home and Home with Saskatoon Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Wrap up Southern Swing with a 6-4 Win in Spokane - Vancouver Giants
- Ams Push Their Way to Shootout Victory over Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Scoring Drought Effects Broncos in 3-1 Loss - Swift Current Broncos
- Nothing Selfish About Rebels' Performance in Win over 'Canes - Red Deer Rebels
- Blades Fiery Effort Burns Pats on Frigid Friday - Saskatoon Blades
- ICE Fall to Wheat Kings 5-4 in Overtime - Kootenay Ice
- Scrappy Rockets End Skid behind Porter - Kelowna Rockets
- T-Birds Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Americans - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Shut out by Warriors - Victoria Royals
- Smith's Two Goals Not Enough as Chiefs' Winning Streak Snapped - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Douse Blazers In Kamloops - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Calgary Hitmen Stories
- Hitmen Select Two Players in 2020 CHL Import Draft
- Hitmen to Make Two Picks in Tuesday's 2020 CHL Import Draft
- Hitmen Sign Prospect Tristan Zandee
- Hitmen Forward Riley Fiddler-Schultz Receives Doug Wickenheiser Memorial Trophy Presented by Kia
- Hitmen Sign American Prospect Briggs Orr