Blades Fiery Effort Burns Pats on Frigid Friday
The Saskatoon Blades gave fans at SaskTel Centre an exciting night on Friday thanks to a 6-2 victory over the visiting Regina Pats. The win puts the Blades at 27-13-6-0 on the season and 5-1-1-0 on home ice in the month of January.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Max Gerlach (27) and Ryan Hughes (19) scored 20 seconds apart in the first period to give the Blades a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes.
Kirby Dach (18) finished off a pretty pass from Emil Malysjev to make it 3-0 Saskatoon in the 2nd period before the visiting Pats got on the board. Regina would score twice in the frame through Cole Dubinsky (2) and Austin Pratt (17) making it 3-2 Saskatoon at the second intermission.
Riley McKay (8), Chase Wouters (9), and Cyle McNabb (2) put the game out of reach in the 3rd period en route to the 6-2 victory for Saskatoon. The Blades doubled the Pats on the shot clock 34-17.
Nolan Maier made 15 saves for his 22nd win of the season, which is tied for fourth most in the WHL.
The blue & gold were a perfect 5/5 on the penalty kill and struck once on six power play opportunities.
Dawson Davidson: 3 assists
Kirby Dach: 1G-1A, GWG, 4 SOG
Riley McKay: 1 goal, 3 SOG, 5 PIM
Kirby Dach hit the 50 point mark on the season while extending his point streak to 5 games (4G-4A).
Dawson Davidson assisted on each of the Blades' first three goals. He now has 6 assists in his last 4 games and sits second among all d-men in the WHL with 46 points in 46 games.
Cyle McNabb scored his 1st goal as a Saskatoon Blade.
Emil Malysjev registered his 2nd career 2-point game with 2 assists.
Eric Florchuk had 1 assist and was dominant in the face-off circle winning 13/15 draws.
The Blades travel to Regina for the back half of the home & home series. Next home action for the Blades is next Saturday against the visiting Swift Current Broncos.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Portland Explodes for a Five-Goal Third Period, Beats Everett 5-1 - Portland Winterhawks
- Pats Can't Rebound from 3-0 Deficit - Regina Pats
- Hitmen Edged by Oil Kings, 3-2 - Calgary Hitmen
- Preview: Blades Visit Queen City Looking for Weekend Sweep - Saskatoon Blades
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland vs. Everett - Game #44 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 46 vs Swift Current - Medicine Hat Tigers
- ICE, Wheat Kings Clash in Rematch at Westoba Place - Kootenay Ice
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, January 19 at Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Take Weekend Series Opener - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Host Back Half of Home and Home with Saskatoon Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Wrap up Southern Swing with a 6-4 Win in Spokane - Vancouver Giants
- Ams Push Their Way to Shootout Victory over Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Scoring Drought Effects Broncos in 3-1 Loss - Swift Current Broncos
- Nothing Selfish About Rebels' Performance in Win over 'Canes - Red Deer Rebels
- Blades Fiery Effort Burns Pats on Frigid Friday - Saskatoon Blades
- ICE Fall to Wheat Kings 5-4 in Overtime - Kootenay Ice
- Scrappy Rockets End Skid behind Porter - Kelowna Rockets
- T-Birds Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Americans - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Shut out by Warriors - Victoria Royals
- Smith's Two Goals Not Enough as Chiefs' Winning Streak Snapped - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Douse Blazers In Kamloops - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.