Scrappy Rockets End Skid behind Porter
The Kelowna Rockets snapped their losing streak with a 2-0 victory over the western conference leading Everett Silvertips Friday night at The Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett, Wa.
Mark Liwiski and Dawson Butt dropped the gloves just 45 seconds into the opening frame. The two teams went back and forth, but neither could beat the opposing goaltender.
Michael Farren (2) opened the scoring with his first goal as a Rocket when he beat Silvertips starter Dustin Wolf at 3:07. Alex Swetlikoff picked up his first Western Hockey League point assisting on Mark Liwiski's (3) goal at 10:56 to extend the lead to two. The Rockets held a 2-0 lead through two periods.
The Silvertips came out pressing in the third outshooting the Rockets 13-2 in the final period, but the Rockets were able to hold them off to claim a 2-0 victory.
Kelowna's record improves to 18-22-3-1.
James Porter stopped all 40 shots fired on him to pick up his first shutout of the season. His record is now 6-9-2-1. The Silvertips outshot the Rockets 40-20.
Kelowna will face the league-leading Prince Albert Raiders tomorrow night at Prospera Place. The Rockets will honour Josh Gorges ahead of the game, the former captain retired from professional hockey this past Monday. Tickets are on sale at selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets center Mark Liwiski vs. the Everett Silvertips
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Portland Explodes for a Five-Goal Third Period, Beats Everett 5-1 - Portland Winterhawks
- Pats Can't Rebound from 3-0 Deficit - Regina Pats
- Hitmen Edged by Oil Kings, 3-2 - Calgary Hitmen
- Preview: Blades Visit Queen City Looking for Weekend Sweep - Saskatoon Blades
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland vs. Everett - Game #44 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 46 vs Swift Current - Medicine Hat Tigers
- ICE, Wheat Kings Clash in Rematch at Westoba Place - Kootenay Ice
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, January 19 at Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Take Weekend Series Opener - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Host Back Half of Home and Home with Saskatoon Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Wrap up Southern Swing with a 6-4 Win in Spokane - Vancouver Giants
- Ams Push Their Way to Shootout Victory over Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Scoring Drought Effects Broncos in 3-1 Loss - Swift Current Broncos
- Nothing Selfish About Rebels' Performance in Win over 'Canes - Red Deer Rebels
- Blades Fiery Effort Burns Pats on Frigid Friday - Saskatoon Blades
- ICE Fall to Wheat Kings 5-4 in Overtime - Kootenay Ice
- Scrappy Rockets End Skid behind Porter - Kelowna Rockets
- T-Birds Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Americans - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Shut out by Warriors - Victoria Royals
- Smith's Two Goals Not Enough as Chiefs' Winning Streak Snapped - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Douse Blazers In Kamloops - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.