Scoring Drought Effects Broncos in 3-1 Loss
Goal scoring continues to be a bit of a struggle for the Broncos as forward Ethan O'Rourke scored the lone goal in a 3-1 loss to the Medicine Hat Tigers on Friday night.
Through one period of play, Broncos goaltender Riley Lamb clearly picked up where he left off after his 47 save performance last week against the Brandon Wheat Kings with a 19 save effort to keep this contest tied 0-0.
It wasn't until the 6:35 mark of the second period when Medicine Hat team captain James Hamblin scored his 24th of the season to give the Tigers a 1-0 lead. Forward Tyler Preziuso attempted a cross ice feed that saw the puck pop up into the air and Hamblin used good hand-eye coordination to bat it in mid air.
Tigers forward Corson Hopwo then boosted their lead to 2-0 as Hamblin notched an assist for his second point of the night while Linus Nassen earned a helper as well.
Trevor Longo blasted one from the point in the third period to place the Broncos in a 3-0 hole.
19-year-old Broncos forward O'Rourke broke the scoring drought as he scooped up a pass from Garrett Sambrook in the slot area and created some open space before firing a high wrist shot over Tigers goaltender Jordan Hollett.
3-1 Tigers was the score when Swift Current pulled goaltender Lamb for the extra attacker. The Tigers stingy defence prevented any quality scoring chances for the Broncos, thus 3-1 ended up being the final outcome.
Shots on goal were 46-24 in favour of Medicine Hat. Both clubs were 0/1 on the power play.
Swift Current finished their seven-game home stand, posting a record of 2-5-0-0 and will battle the Tigers again on Saturday night at the Canalta Centre. Puck drop is set for 8:30pm CT.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Portland Explodes for a Five-Goal Third Period, Beats Everett 5-1 - Portland Winterhawks
- Pats Can't Rebound from 3-0 Deficit - Regina Pats
- Hitmen Edged by Oil Kings, 3-2 - Calgary Hitmen
- Preview: Blades Visit Queen City Looking for Weekend Sweep - Saskatoon Blades
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland vs. Everett - Game #44 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game 46 vs Swift Current - Medicine Hat Tigers
- ICE, Wheat Kings Clash in Rematch at Westoba Place - Kootenay Ice
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, January 19 at Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Take Weekend Series Opener - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Host Back Half of Home and Home with Saskatoon Saturday - Regina Pats
- Giants Wrap up Southern Swing with a 6-4 Win in Spokane - Vancouver Giants
- Ams Push Their Way to Shootout Victory over Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Scoring Drought Effects Broncos in 3-1 Loss - Swift Current Broncos
- Nothing Selfish About Rebels' Performance in Win over 'Canes - Red Deer Rebels
- Blades Fiery Effort Burns Pats on Frigid Friday - Saskatoon Blades
- ICE Fall to Wheat Kings 5-4 in Overtime - Kootenay Ice
- Scrappy Rockets End Skid behind Porter - Kelowna Rockets
- T-Birds Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Americans - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Shut out by Warriors - Victoria Royals
- Smith's Two Goals Not Enough as Chiefs' Winning Streak Snapped - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Douse Blazers In Kamloops - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Swift Current Broncos Stories
- Preview: Something's Got to Give as Broncos Meet Royals in Victoria
- Broncos Drop Overtime Heartbreaker to Rockets
- Preview: Broncos Head to Kelowna Looking to End Slide
- Broncos Can't Solve Ramsay in Loss to Kamloops
- Preview: Broncos Open Five-Game Road Trip in Kamloops