Bulls Hand Skyforce its Fourth Straight Loss
SIOUX FALLS, SD - The Windy City Bulls (22-19) fended off a late comeback attempt by the Sioux Falls Skyforce (23-18) to earn a 116-111 victory on Wednesday night at the Sanford Pentagon. With the loss, the Force have now dropped four-straight games and have lost eight of their last nine contests in total.
Windy City led by as many as 10 points early in the first quarter before Sioux Falls cut the deficit to 26-22 entering the second period. CJ Fair (19 points) had the hot hand early for the Bulls, scoring 11 points in the opening quarter alone.
Rodney Purvis (31 points) kept the Skyforce within striking distance throughout the first half, scoring 18 of his game-high 31 points in the first two quarters. Purvis knocked down six-of-10 three-point field goals on his way to tallying his second-highest point total of the season in the loss.
A late Sioux Falls surge saw the Bulls' lead cut to just a single point with 4:35 left in the final frame, but Windy City quickly responded with an 8-0 run and never looked back. JaKarr Sampson (19 points and 17 rebounds) and Walter Lemon Jr. (25 points, nine assists and six rebounds) stole the show in the second half to lead the Bulls to victory.
Charles Cooke III (23 points) made his return from his stint with USA Basketball and picked up right where he left off, scoring 17 of his 23 points in the fourth quarter alone to lead the Skyforce comeback attempt. Meanwhile, Duke Mondy (20 points, seven rebounds and seven assists) shot a perfect five-of-five from three-point range on his way to tallying a season-high 20 points in what was his second-consecutive start.
Finally, Miami HEAT assignee Emanuel Terry totaled 12 points, 13 rebounds and three blocks in just under 27 minutes of playing time, but played just 20 seconds in the final period in the loss.
The Skyforce will look to get back into the win column and stay in the mix for a 2019 playoff berth on Friday, March 1 as the Grand Rapids Drive (19-20) pay a visit to the Sanford Pentagon. Meanwhile, the Windy City Bulls will travel back to Chicago for a battle with the Eastern Conference-leading Lakeland Magic (26-15) this Friday.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 27, 2019
- Bulls Hand Skyforce its Fourth Straight Loss - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Long Island Wins Fourth Straight Behind Season-High 19 3-Pointers - Long Island Nets
- Windy City Ties Franchise-Record with 11th Road Win - Windy City Bulls
- Blue Coats Fall to Nets on Road - Delaware Blue Coats
- Balanced Magic Attack Beats Go-Go - Capital City Go-Go
- Swarm Tip Moved to 11 a.m. on February 28 - Greensboro Swarm
- Knicks Close out the Month at Greensboro Thursday - Westchester Knicks
- Wisconsin Herd to Host Career Fair and Panel Discussion on March 2 - Wisconsin Herd
- Blue Escapes with Victory Versus Herd - Oklahoma City Blue
- Austin Spurs to Host Military and First Responders Appreciation Game March 9 - Austin Spurs
- Timberwolves Assign Robert Covington to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Hornets Assign Devonte' Graham to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Stockton Kings Beat Texas Legends to Win Fourth Straight Game - Stockton Kings
- Ochefu's 32-Point Performance Takes the Crown - Texas Legends
- Hustle Take Down Vipers, Bounce Back with Balanced Effort - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hustle Take Down Vipers, Bounce Back with Balanced Effort - Memphis Hustle
- Clippers Complete Comeback Victory over Austin - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Skyforce Stories
- Skyforce, Sanford Power Basketball Academy to Host Youth Basketball Camp
- Skyforce Announces Five Priority Dates for 2019-20 Season
- Two-Way Players Maten, Robinson Selected to All-NBA G League Teams, All-Rookie Team
- Best in the West: Vipers Lock in First Round Bye with Win over Skyforce
- Blue Soars Past Skyforce