Bombers Stunned by Woodchucks, Split Series in Wausau
Battle Creek (8-6, 24-25) falls to the Wisconsin Woodchucks (9-5, 21-28) 2-1 Wednesday night at Athletic Park.
The loss marks the sixth time this season Battle Creek has reached the .500 mark and failed to capture a winning record in 2018.
Starting pitcher, Amani Godfrey (3-3), did all he could to give the Bombers a victory Wednesday. Godfrey pitched seven scoreless innings while giving up just one hit and striking out five Woodchucks.
The Saginaw Valley State Cardinal had a no-hitter going into the fifth inning and allowed just three baserunners total on one hit and two walks.
Battle Creek only scored once off Wisconsin starter Jake Gross in the third inning. Gross walked three straight Bombers to load the bases, and Jordan Swiss picked up an RBI on a fielder's choice to the shortstop Nick Loftin.
The RBI by Swiss ended up being Battle Creek's only run of the game, and the 1-0 lead held until the bottom of the eighth inning.
Kevin Hahn made his league leading 21st appearance out of the bullpen for the Bombers and quickly retired the first two hitters of the inning. However, a pinch-hit double from Peter Ahn and a two-run home run off the bat of Nick Loftin gave Wisconsin a 2-1 lead.
Hahn had a 1.99 era and had only given up an earned run in four of his first twenty appearances heading into Wednesday. It was just the second time all season he has given up multiple runs in one appearance.
Needing a run in the ninth, Jalen Thomas singled, and Riley Tirotta reached on an error to begin the inning. With the tying run on second, Wisconsin All-Star closer, Lennon Gwizdala, then retired three straight Bombers to end the game.
The 2-1 victory gave Wisconsin their first win of the season over the Bombers. Battle Creek still leads the season series 5-1.
The Bombers travel to Green Bay to take on the Bullfrogs Thursday night. First pitch is set for 8:05 EST.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 19, 2018
- Bullfrogs Roll Past Bombers for Fourth Straight Win - Green Bay Booyah
- Honkers Come from Behind to Defeat Border Cats - Rochester Honkers
- Strong Start Leads Huskies to Sixth Straight Win - Duluth Huskies
- Woodchucks Drop Close One to Growlers - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rivets Split Double Header vs Lakeshore - Rockford Rivets
- Rox Game against Express on July 19 Postponed - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Matchup with Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Douglas Resigns; Eaton Named Interim Manager - Waterloo Bucks
- Northwoods League All-Star Picks Announced - Bismarck Larks
- Today's Game Postponed Due to Weather - Willmar Stingers
- Four Mallards Selected for Home Run Derby - Madison Mallards
- Huskies Knock off Thunder Bay Again - Duluth Huskies
- Bombers Stunned by Woodchucks, Split Series in Wausau - Battle Creek Bombers
- Specialty Jersey Auction Night July 21=21 Online Auction Is Live - Rochester Honkers
- Bullfrogs Sweep Kingfish on the Road - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Sweep Growlers at Witter Field - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Magic in the Seventh for the Second Consecutive Night Propels Stingers to 7-4 Win - Willmar Stingers
- Mallards Shutout Chinooks 3-0 for Fourth Win in a Row - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Battle Creek Bombers Stories
- McCraith Throws Eight Scoreless Innings; Battle Creek Wins Tenth Straight Game
- Bombers Win Season Series with Rafters After Fourth Straight Sweep
- Battle Creek One-Hits the Rafters in Seventh Straight Win
- Bombers Get over .500 for the First Time in 2018
- Battle Creek Sets Multiple Season Highs in Win over the Rafters