Bombers Drop a Tough Game One in Green Bay
The Battle Creek Bombers (24-26) came into Green Bay to take on the Bullfrogs (19-32) looking to get back to the .500 mark on the year.
Michael McCraith (3-3) got the start for Battle Creek while Leo Perez (4-1) took the mound for the Bullfrogs. Both pitchers got through the first inning only allowing a single hit. Perez shut down the Bombers in the second before the Bullfrogs hopped onto the scoreboard. Green Bay cashed in with three runs on just one hit and one walk from McCraith after a couple of runners reached and scored from two Bomber's errors. Green Bay led 3-0 through two innings.
Both pitchers kept the scoreboard quiet through the fifth inning as it remained 3-0 heading into the sixth. The Bombers used an error and a couple of walks to score in the top half of the inning with a Zach Gartner RBI sacrifice fly that brought home Roman Trujillo. However, the Bullfrogs had a large answer in the bottom half of the inning. McCraith faced four batters in which he allowed two singles, a walk and got one out on a sacrifice bunt. Brett Manis came in with the bags loaded two runs scored on a Blake Nelson reach by error. Manis got two of the next three batters out, but not before two more runs came in on a Matthew Acosta two-RBI single. The Bullfrogs leaped out to a 7-1 lead through six innings.
Perez pitched a scoreless seventh as well and the Bullfrogs added another run in the bottom half of the inning to make it 8-1. The Bombers would face Jason Applegate in the final two innings and they did make their way on the scoreboard again in the ninth. Connor Bailey got on with a single and advanced to second after Mike Brown reached first on an error. Roman Trujillo brought Bailey home on an RBI single to make it 8-2. However, that was all the Bombers could muster up in the final inning of the game.
The player of the game for Battle Creek was the shortstop Roman Trujillo. Despite going 1-for-4, Trujillo assisted in both runs scored for the Bombers with a run and an RBI.
Battle Creek will look to even the mark with the Bullfrogs on Friday night in Green Bay with a scheduled first pitch time of 7:05 PM (EST).
Images from this story
Battle Creek Bombers infielder Roman Trujillo
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 20, 2018
- Six Game Win Streak Snapped by First-Half Champions - Duluth Huskies
- : Rox Split Doubleheader with Express in Front of Sellout Crowd - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Fall to Mallards in Season Series Finale - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Plantier Leads Mallards to Victory - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Fall to Growlers 3-1 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Fondy Grabs First Place with Win over Kenosha - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- : Bullfrogs and Bombers Suspended Due to Weather - Green Bay Booyah
- Bucks Outlast MoonDogs, 5-3 - Waterloo Bucks
- Barrie Registers Multi-Hit Game, Rox Fall to Express - St. Cloud Rox
- Honkers Sweep Border Cats - Rochester Honkers
- Bombers Drop a Tough Game One in Green Bay - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rafters Begin Road Trip in Madison - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Family Movie Night Featuring "Moana" Slated for July 28 - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Go for Six Straight - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Now Tied for First After Win over Kenosha - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Bucks Fall 2-0 to MoonDogs in Late Night Ballgame - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Maroon Rafters 9-3 for Fifth in a Row - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Lose Late to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Battle Creek Bombers Stories
- Bombers Announce Mike Ruppenthal as New Skipper
- Battle Creek Bombers Announce 2019 Schedule
- McCraith Throws Eight Scoreless Innings; Battle Creek Wins Tenth Straight Game
- Bombers Win Season Series with Rafters After Fourth Straight Sweep
- Battle Creek One-Hits the Rafters in Seventh Straight Win