Mallards Maroon Rafters 9-3 for Fifth in a Row
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (35-16, 7-8) played an outstanding all-around game to defeat the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (22-28, 7-8) at Historic Witter Field Thursday night. The Mallards offense delivered several clutch two-out hits, and Madison hurlers got important outs with Rafters runners in scoring position. The Mallards did not gain a comfortable lead until they plated four insurance runs in the top of the ninth inning.
Madison jumped on top in the first inning 3-0 with two outs. A lead-off single by Garrett Kueber (Austin Peay), a two-out RBI double by Tyler Plantier (Richmond), and a two-run home run bomb by David Vinsky (Northwood) provided a lead which Mallards pitchers would never surrender. Starter Sean Leland (Illinois) earned the win with six innings of three-hit, one-run ball, while notching seven strikeouts.
After narrow escapes in the bottom of the seventh and the bottom of the eighth, the Mallards held a 5-3 lead going into the ninth inning against the Rafters top reliever Mason McReaken, who had only allowed one earned run all summer in 26 plus innings. Jesse Forestell (Western Michigan) scored the insurance sixth run on a wild pitch, and then Jake Randa (NW Florida State) put the game away with a bases clearing three-RBI double, which gave Madison the final 9-3 advantage.
- Jake Randa cracked two doubles to increase his league leading tally to 20 on the summer
- Jonah Smith (Creighton) and Leon Hunter (North Carolina A&T) stranded the tying run on base in both the seventh and eighth innings.
- David Vinsky had three hits including his home run and a double, and scored twice
- Jesse Forestell had two hits, a stolen base, and drove in two critical runs with a missile up the middle which increased the Mallards lead from 3-1 to 5-1 in in the top of the sixth inning
The Mallards return home Friday night, July 20, at 7:05 pm for their last meeting of the regular season against the Rafters. Madison holds a 6-1 advantage over Wisconsin Rapids in the seven games played this summer. Friday night will be Wisconsin Lottery Night with in-game entertainment presented by the Pyrotechniq Fire Troupe. Tickets for tomorrow and playoff tickets for the Mallards first round home game Monday August 13 are on sale at Warner Park or at madisonmallards.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 20, 2018
- Six Game Win Streak Snapped by First-Half Champions - Duluth Huskies
- : Rox Split Doubleheader with Express in Front of Sellout Crowd - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Fall to Mallards in Season Series Finale - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Plantier Leads Mallards to Victory - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Fall to Growlers 3-1 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Fondy Grabs First Place with Win over Kenosha - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- : Bullfrogs and Bombers Suspended Due to Weather - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Bucks Outlast MoonDogs, 5-3 - Waterloo Bucks
- Barrie Registers Multi-Hit Game, Rox Fall to Express - St. Cloud Rox
- Honkers Sweep Border Cats - Rochester Honkers
- Bombers Drop a Tough Game One in Green Bay - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rafters Begin Road Trip in Madison - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Family Movie Night Featuring "Moana" Slated for July 28 - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Go for Six Straight - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Now Tied for First After Win over Kenosha - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Bucks Fall 2-0 to MoonDogs in Late Night Ballgame - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Maroon Rafters 9-3 for Fifth in a Row - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Lose Late to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.