Plantier Leads Mallards to Victory
Madison, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (8-8, 35-16) cruised to a 7-1 win over the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (7-9, 22-29) on Friday night at Warner Park. Heavy rain moved into the area just before the eighth inning, causing the game to be called after seven frames. Tyler Plantier (Richmond) crushed a pivotal grand slam in the bottom of the third, highlighting a six-run frame and propelling the Mallards to their sixth straight win.
Mallards starter Ryan Kutt (Illinois) found himself in a jam in the top of the third inning, facing a bases loaded situation with one out. First baseman David Vinsky (Northwood) made a key snag on a hard groundball and threw home to retire the lead runner at the plate. Then, Kutt induced a groundball to end the frame and escape the threat.
In the bottom of the third, the Mallards loaded the bases after hits by Cal Greenfield (Florida), Trevor Schwecke (UW-Milwaukee) and Jake Randa (NW Florida State). Then, the Mallards home run leader Tyler Plantier stepped to the plate and demolished a grand slam off of the scoreboard beyond the left centerfield fence. The Mallards added two more runs in the inning on RBIs by Drew Ober (UNC-Charlotte) and Justice Bigbie (Western Carolina). The Mallards went on to work out of two more bases loaded jams, escaping the fourth unscathed and allowing just one run in the fifth.
- Third basemanTyler Plantier finished the night 2-for-3 with 4 RBI after his pivotal grand slam. Plantier leads the league with 12 homers this summer.
- Centerfielder Jake Randa went 3-for-4 at the plate, scoring two runs and adding on to the Mallards lead with a solo shot in the fifth inning to make the score 7-1.
- Outfielder Drew Ober went 3-for-4 with a double and knocked in a run in the Mallards victory.
- Starting pitcher Ryan Kutt tossed 5.0 innings of one-run ball, allowing six hits and striking out a pair. Kutt earned his fourth win of the season
- Reliever Alex Reyes worked a pair of perfect innings while striking out four.
The Mallards are back home again tomorrow for a matchup with the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders at 6:05 PM. Gates will open at 4:30 PM and the game will feature post-game fireworks presented by Zimbrick Honda. For tickets and more information visit mallardsbaseball.com. Make sure to catch every Mallards game on The Zone, 1670 AM and 96.7 FM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 20, 2018
- Six Game Win Streak Snapped by First-Half Champions - Duluth Huskies
- : Rox Split Doubleheader with Express in Front of Sellout Crowd - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Fall to Mallards in Season Series Finale - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Plantier Leads Mallards to Victory - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Fall to Growlers 3-1 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Fondy Grabs First Place with Win over Kenosha - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- : Bullfrogs and Bombers Suspended Due to Weather - Green Bay Booyah
- Bucks Outlast MoonDogs, 5-3 - Waterloo Bucks
- Barrie Registers Multi-Hit Game, Rox Fall to Express - St. Cloud Rox
- Honkers Sweep Border Cats - Rochester Honkers
- Bombers Drop a Tough Game One in Green Bay - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rafters Begin Road Trip in Madison - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Family Movie Night Featuring "Moana" Slated for July 28 - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Go for Six Straight - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Now Tied for First After Win over Kenosha - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Bucks Fall 2-0 to MoonDogs in Late Night Ballgame - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Maroon Rafters 9-3 for Fifth in a Row - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Lose Late to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.