Bombers Come from Behind to Beat Kenosha
The Battle Creek Bombers rallied back from a three-run deficit to beat the Kenosha Kingfish 7-3 Monday night at C.O. Brown Stadium.
Battle Creek trailed 3-0 entering the bottom of the seventh inning, and the Bombers offense then erupted. A leadoff double by pinch-hitter Michael Morrissette and walks to Erik Owen and Rhett McCall gave the Bombers a bases-loaded, nobody out situation for the top of the Battle Creek order. Kelby Weyler delivered an RBI groundout, and back-to-back singles by Josh Sears and John Malcom knotted the game at three.
Battle Creek was not done, though. After Pablo Arevalo worked a scoreless frame in the top of the eighth, the Bombers offense had another outburst in the bottom of the inning. Five straight Battle Creek batters reached to begin the inning, including a Roy Thurman double. Kolby Johnson had an RBI single to score Thurman and give Battle Creek the lead, but the Bombers would add on three more runs. Owen's two-RBI double broke the game open and gave Battle Creek a 6-3 lead, and Sears would add an RBI single to extend the cushion.
Kenosha jumped out to an early lead against Lyle Hibbits, as the Kingfish scored two runs in the top half of the second inning. Singles from Ryan Knernschield and Roberto Pena, coupled with aggressive base-running, gave Kenosha the early advantage. The Kingfish would plate another run in the sixth inning off of a Hibbits wild pitch to give Kenosha a 3-0 lead.
Caleb Larson had a good start for the Kingfish in his longest outing of the season, resulting in a no-decision. Larson threw five innings, allowing just three hits and one walk, along with six strikeouts. Four Kenosha relievers struggled, though, for manager Duffy Dyer's club, who fell to 7-14 after the loss.
Battle Creek improved to 10-10 and now sit just one game back of the first-place Kokomo Jackrabbits.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 17, 2019
- Rafters Split with Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stingers Top Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Disastrous Fifth Leads to 9-3 Bucks Loss - Waterloo Bucks
- Bombers Come from Behind to Beat Kenosha - Battle Creek Bombers
- Booyah Can't Convert on RBI Opportunities - Green Bay Booyah
- Rox Sweep Huskies with 12-3 Victory - Duluth Huskies
- Pit Spitters Drop Series Finale - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Adam Frank Knocks in Three of Woodchucks Five Runs to Beat the Booyah - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Duluth Huskies Update with Marcus Pointer and Greg Culver - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Look to Extend Win Streak at Home against Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Suit up for Two Road Games - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Battle Creek Bombers Stories
- Games Back on in SW Michigan
- Bombers' Bats Catch Fire in the Fourth, Hand Mac Daddies Their Third Loss
- Bombers Fall for the First Time this Season as Mac Daddies Win Franchise's First Game
- Bombers Leave 9 on Base, Still Maintain Perfect Record
- Bombers Bounce Growlers in 2020 Season Opener