BlueClaws Roll to 7-0 Win; 19th Shutout of Season
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Andrew Brown threw a career-long seven scoreless innings as the BlueClaws rolled to a 7-0 win over Asheville on Friday night at FirstEnergy Park, completing a three-game sweep of the visiting Tourists.
The BlueClaws (13-8/53-36) swept their third series of the season while handing Asheville (11-9/38-51) their fifth straight loss.
After Brown, who improved to 4-1, Julian Garcia and Jonathan Hennigan each threw scoreless innings in relief to complete the BlueClaws' 19th shutout of the season. Lakewood leads the minors in shutouts and pulled within three of their franchise record of 22 set just last year.
The BlueClaws jumped out to a quick first-inning lead on a Jhailyn Ortiz RBI single. Dalton Guthrie added an RBI double in the second and Ortiz a SAC fly in the third for a 3-0 BlueClaws advantage.
In the fourth, Guthrie's SAC fly brought home Quincy NIeporte before a two-run, two-out single by Nick Maton put the BlueClaws up 6-0.
Matt Vierling added his first BlueClaws home run, and second as a pro, in the sixth to put Lakewood up 7-0.
Asheville starter Nick Kennedy (2-9) gave up seven runs in six innings and took the loss. Vierling had three hits and scored three times for the BlueClaws, while Scheiner, Maton, and Guthrie added two hits apiece.
A crowd of 7,376 was the largest of the year and the team's ninth sellout crowd of 2018.
The BlueClaws welcome in Columbia for a four-game series that opens on Saturday night at 7:05 pm. LHP David Parkinson (6-1) will start the series opener for the BlueClaws.
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws pitcher Andrew Brown
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 13, 2018
- 'Birds Outlast 'Dogs for Sweep - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Strand Winning Run, Swept by Shorebirds - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Take Finale over GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Win on Ninth Walkoff of Season - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Fall 7-6 in Series Finale on Friday - Hagerstown Suns
- Extra, Extra, Hoppers Walk off in 10th - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Win Thriller, Take Series in Hagerstown - Columbia Fireflies
- Bolton's Career Night Spoiled by Hickory in Extras - West Virginia Power
- Drive Complete Sweep of Braves on Friday - Greenville Drive
- Poof: Bats Disappear on Harry Potter Night - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws Roll to 7-0 Win; 19th Shutout of Season - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 13 at Hagerstown (Game 88) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Starting Pitcher Rony Garcia Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- 2018 First Rounder Daniel Lynch Promoted to Lexington - Lexington Legends
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 13) - West Virginia Power
- Minor League Baseball Draws 2.35 Million Fans Over 4th of July Week - SAL
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (July 14-17) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Bengtson Boosts West Virginia over Crawdads - West Virginia Power
- Crawdads Drop Game Two against Power - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- BlueClaws Charities Announces 2018 Grant Recipients
- Claws Fall 2-1 as Legends Take SAL Title
- Claws Fall 6-3 on Thursday as Legends Take 2-1 Series Lead
- Claws Fall 5-2; Legends Level Series at 1-1
- Comeback Claws Come from Five Down in Ninth, Win Game One 6-5 at Lexington