Big Ninth Inning Carries ThunderBolts over Schaumburg
CRESTWOOD, IL - Trailing 5-2 in the bottom of the ninth inning, the ThunderBolts scored four runs on five hits to defeat the Schaumburg Boomers 5-2 at Ozinga Field Thursday night.
Schaumburg (45-47) led almost the entire night after they scored two runs in the second inning. Luis Roman hit and RBI double and scored on a Dylan Jones single.
Connor Oliver brought home a run on a third-inning double and came home on a Quincy Nieporte sacrifice fly in the third and the Boomers, with back-to-back two-run innings, led 4-0.
Tyler Straub homered for the ThunderBolts (41-53), breaking the shutout in the fifth inning and, after Nick Oddo got the run back in the next inning with an RBI single for the Boomers, Tyler Alamo hit his 15th home run of the year, pulling the Bolts back to within three.
It was still a three-run game when Brynn Martinez singled on the first pitch of the ninth inning. He scored on a Tanner Gardner double. Alamo walked and Micah Coffey hit an RBI single, putting the tying and winning runs on base. They were standing at the corners with two outs when Taisei Fukuhara reached on a game-tying infield single. Pinch hitter Christian Funk came up next and singled the first pitch to leftfield, scoring Coffey to win the game.
Christian Morris (3-4) pitched a scoreless inning and was credited with the win. Connor Eller (5-4) gave up all four runs in the ninth to take the loss for Schaumburg.
The ThunderBolts close their season with a two-game series against the Florence Freedom, starting Friday. It is Fan Appreciation Night and Fireworks Friday for the opener of the series as Kenny Mathews (4-9, 4.34) takes the ball for the ThunderBolts. His mound opponent is Mike Castellani (9-2, 2.55). First pitch from Ozinga Field is scheduled for 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Rascals Shutout in Home Finale - River City Rascals
- Big Ninth Inning Carries ThunderBolts over Schaumburg - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Grizzlies Drop Tight Finale to Otters - Gateway Grizzlies
- Windy City Stuns Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Miners Drop Game, Series at Home to Lake Erie - Southern Illinois Miners
- Wild Things Win by Shutout to Close Two-Game Set - Washington Wild Things
- Bramblett, Baillargeon Take Home Awards - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Receive Frontier League Awards; Long Named MVP - Evansville Otters
- Ricky Ramirez Jr. Named Postseason All-Star - Florence Y'alls
- Crushers Rake in Three Post-Season Awards - Lake Erie Crushers
- Meadows Named Post-Season All-Star - River City Rascals
- Otters Named Frontier League Organization of the Year - Evansville Otters
- Nieporte & Oddo Named All-Stars; Larson Awarded Executive of the Year - Schaumburg Boomers
- Frontier League Announces 2019 Season Awards - FL
- Cunningham, Davis Earn Postseason All-Star Honors - Southern Illinois Miners
- Complete Freedom Sweep Slammers in Doubleheader - Florence Y'alls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City ThunderBolts Stories
- Frontier League Named Partner of Major League Baseball
- Windy City ThunderBolts Will Not Have Baseball in 2020 as Frontier League Suspends Entire Championship Season
- ThunderBolts Close Season with Blowout Win
- Florence Comes from Behind to Beat ThunderBolts
- Big Ninth Inning Carries ThunderBolts over Schaumburg