Big First Dooms Travs
Springfield, MO - A five run first inning was too much to overcome for the Arkansas Travelers as they dropped a 6-3 decision to the Springfield Cardinals on Thursday night. Genesis Cabrera took the five-run opening inning and ran with it as the Springfield lefty did not allow a base runner until a one out double in the fourth inning and did not give up a run until there were two out in the sixth. He was rewarded with his first win as a Cardinal. Kyle Lewis stayed hot for Arkansas connecting for his third multi-hit effort in the last four games. Joey Curletta drove in a pair to raise his league leading RBI total to 92.
Moments That Mattered
* The big blow in the opening inning was a three-run home run by Chris Chinea on a fly ball to left field that barely carried over the wall only 10 feet in fair territory. That raised the Springfield lead up to five.
* Arkansas made a push late after cutting a six-run lead in half with two runs in the sixth and another in the seventh. They would bring the tying run to the plate with one out in the ninth but Cardinal right-hander Seth Elledge struck out Joseph Odom after a 10 pitch at-bat and then got a groundout to end the game.
Notable Travs Performances
* 3B Chris Mariscal: 2-4, run, 2B
* DH Kyle Lewis: 2-3, run, BB, 2B
* Bryan Bonnell: 2.1 IP, 2 K
The finale in Springfield is tomorrow night as the Travs go for the series win. Right-hander Williams Perez (6-1, 2.22) will be on the hill against righty Anthony Shew (6-8, 4.46). First pitch is set for 7:10 and the game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big First Dooms Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Early Hooks Hits Best Riders - Frisco RoughRiders
- Drillers Magic Number Remains at Two After Loss to Naturals - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks Notch Win No. 80 - Corpus Christi Hooks
- I Heard It Through the Jace Vines: Naturals Playoff Hopes Stay Alive Another Day - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Reed Garrett Named to Texas League Postseason All-Star Team - Frisco RoughRiders
- Hooks Land Trio on TL All-Star Team - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Tatis Jr. Highlights Four Missions Selected to Texas League Post-Season All-Star Squad - San Antonio Missions
- Joey Curletta, Matt Festa Named TL Postseason Stars - Arkansas Travelers
- Offense Stalls, Riders Tighten Race - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Kruczynski Good Again But Cardinals Fall 7-5 to Travelers - Springfield Cardinals
- Ramirez Walks It off for RockHounds - Midland RockHounds
- Drillers Edge Closer to Playoff Berth with DH Split - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Split Double-Header, Elimination No. Down to One - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.