Ramirez Walks It off for RockHounds
The RockHounds have discovered the "joy of winning" in extra innings ... and of just plain winning.
Tyler Ramirez' walk-off RBI single in the 10th inning gave the 'Hounds a 5-4 win over the San Antonio Missions Wednesday night at Security Bank Ballpark.
The RockHounds are now the Texas League's hottest club, winners of 12-of-their-last-16 games. And, after dropping their first five extra-inning contests, the club has captured four straight "overtime" wins with victories in 6-of-their-last-8 extra-inning contests.
Short-porch solo home runs to right field from Peter Van Gansen and Kyle Overstreet gave the Missions leads of 1-0 and 2-1, with the RockHounds answering on a double from Ramirez (he later scored on a wild pitch) and a two-run home run to the right field grass berm from J.P. Sportman. Van Gansen's seventh-inning sacrifice fly then tied the game at 3-3, forcing extra innings.
Both clubs benefitted from fielding errors by the pitcher to score in the 10th. The RockHounds' Miguel Romero, however, overcame his own miscue and limited San Antonio to one run.
Eric Yardley's throwing error allowed the RockHounds to tie the game and put a runner at second, with Ramirez delivering the walk-off RBI with the bases loaded and one out.
Congratulations to San Antonio's Logan Allen, who has been named Texas League Pitcher of the Year. Now with (AAA) El Paso, the right-hander led the league in wins (10), ERA (2.75), WHIP (1.05), opponent average (/205) and strikeouts (125) at the time of his promotion (his 2.75 ERA still shares the league lead).
Tyler Ramirez finished 2-for-5 with a double, a run and the game-winning RBI. He has hit in 23-of-27 games (.330) with 19 RBI and has reached base in 29-of-33 (.318) with 26 RBI. His walk-off single Wednesday night puts Tyler alone in third in the Texas League with 78 RBI.
J.P. Sportman has hit in 10-of-11 games (.292) with two doubles, three home runs and nine RBI.
Nate Mondou has hit in four straight games, going 5-for-12 and adding two walks (on-base in 7-of-14) and a stolen base.
I'm Not Tim Kurkjian Or Anything, Just Sayin' ...
Ben Bracewell was victimized by a pair of short-porch home runs, but recorded another "quality start," allowing three runs over seven innings. He struck out 10 batters for the second consecutive game (setting and equaling a new career high) and has allowed just three runs over his last two starts (a 1.80 ERA), striking out 20 batters and walking two over 15.0 innings. In his last eight starts, including one with the (Triple-A) Nashville Sounds, Ben has struck out 54 batters while walking just six ... a 9-to-1 ratio.
Thursday, August 30 vs. San Antonio Missions
Final Thirsty Thursday of the season
Security Bank Ballpark 7:00 p.m. (Gates open at 6:00)
- Third of a four-game series and of a seven-game homestand
- Radio: NewsTalk 550 with Bob Hards ... airtime 6:47 p.m.
SA: Michel Baez (RH, 0-2, 6.91)
RH: Parker Dunshee (RH, 6-4, 2.20)
Home stand includes:
Team Card Sets (Friday, August 31)
Final Postgame Fireworks Show of the season (Saturday, September 1)
Day Games Sunday & Monday, September 2 & 3 (2:00 first pitch)
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big First Dooms Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Early Hooks Hits Best Riders - Frisco RoughRiders
- Drillers Magic Number Remains at Two After Loss to Naturals - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks Notch Win No. 80 - Corpus Christi Hooks
- I Heard It Through the Jace Vines: Naturals Playoff Hopes Stay Alive Another Day - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Reed Garrett Named to Texas League Postseason All-Star Team - Frisco RoughRiders
- Hooks Land Trio on TL All-Star Team - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Tatis Jr. Highlights Four Missions Selected to Texas League Post-Season All-Star Squad - San Antonio Missions
- Joey Curletta, Matt Festa Named TL Postseason Stars - Arkansas Travelers
- Offense Stalls, Riders Tighten Race - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Kruczynski Good Again But Cardinals Fall 7-5 to Travelers - Springfield Cardinals
- Ramirez Walks It off for RockHounds - Midland RockHounds
- Drillers Edge Closer to Playoff Berth with DH Split - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Split Double-Header, Elimination No. Down to One - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.