Drillers Magic Number Remains at Two After Loss to Naturals
Needing a victory Thursday night to clinch a spot in the Texas League playoffs, the Tulsa Drillers were undone by errors and walks in the middle innings and fell 8-4 to Northwest Arkansas at ONEOK Field. With the defeat, Tulsa's magic number remains at two with four games remaining in the regular season.
The Drillers and Naturals traded runs in the first and third innings of Thursday's game. In the top of the first, a leadoff double by former Driller Erick Mejia set the table for an RBI single by Kelvin Gutierrez.
In the bottom half of the inning, Gavin Lux led off with a double, and Jacob Scavuzzo knocked him in with a clutch two-out single.
Drillers starting pitcher Tony Gonsolin walked the first three Naturals in the top of the third, then uncorked a wild pitch that resulted in a Northwest Arkansas run. After another walk, Gonsolin's night was over, and he was replaced by Jason Richman out of the pen. Richman got Xavier Fernandez to ground into a force out, but another run came home giving the Naturals a 3-1 lead.
In the bottom of the third, Lux led off with his second double of the game and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Drew Jackson brought him home with an RBI groundout, and Keibert Ruiz followed with a double. D.J. Peters reached with an infield single, and Scavuzzo knocked in his second run of the game win with a groundout.
Tied at 3-3 going into the top of the fourth inning, the Naturals pulled away for good. After an error and a pair of walks loaded the bases, run-scoring singles by Alex Liddi and Anderson Miller stretched the lead to 6-3.
With runners at first and third an inning later, Mejia brought home a run with a groundout. Samir Duenez extended the Naturals lead to 8-3 with an RBI single.
The score remained the same until Peters launched a two-out homer in the bottom of the eighth. But it would not be enough as the Naturals took home the 8-4 victory.
WHAT YOU MISSED
*Andre Scrubb allowed his first earned runs since joining the Drillers. In his four previous appearances, he had worked 6.2 innings without allowing a run out of the bullpen.
*Andrew Istler had a very solid 2.1 relief innings. He gave up only one hit and struck out four Naturals.
*Peters has a modest three-game hitting streak going. He has five hits, including three home runs in those three games.
The Drillers will play their final regular season game of 2018 at ONEOK Field on Friday night with the series finale against the Naturals. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and the probable starting pitchers will be:
NWA Emilio Ogando (11-6, 4.50 ERA)
TUL Ben Holmes (1-2, 3.19 ERA)
Images from this story
Jacob Scavuzzo of the Tulsa Drillers makes a catch
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big First Dooms Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Early Hooks Hits Best Riders - Frisco RoughRiders
- Drillers Magic Number Remains at Two After Loss to Naturals - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks Notch Win No. 80 - Corpus Christi Hooks
- I Heard It Through the Jace Vines: Naturals Playoff Hopes Stay Alive Another Day - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Reed Garrett Named to Texas League Postseason All-Star Team - Frisco RoughRiders
- Hooks Land Trio on TL All-Star Team - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Tatis Jr. Highlights Four Missions Selected to Texas League Post-Season All-Star Squad - San Antonio Missions
- Joey Curletta, Matt Festa Named TL Postseason Stars - Arkansas Travelers
- Offense Stalls, Riders Tighten Race - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Kruczynski Good Again But Cardinals Fall 7-5 to Travelers - Springfield Cardinals
- Ramirez Walks It off for RockHounds - Midland RockHounds
- Drillers Edge Closer to Playoff Berth with DH Split - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Split Double-Header, Elimination No. Down to One - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Drillers Stories
- Drillers Announce 2020 Schedule and Start Times
- Amarillo Stuns Drillers with Ninth-Inning Rally to Win Title
- Amarillo Blanks Drillers to Force Winner-Take-All Game 5 Sunday at ONEOK Field
- Solbach, Wong Lead Drillers to Within One Win of Title
- Drillers Set Homer Record in Wild, Series Tying Win