Offense Stalls, Riders Tighten Race
FRISCO - Pedro Payano scattered three hits over six innings Wednesday night leading the RoughRiders to a 6-0 triumph over Corpus Christi at Dr Pepper Ballpark.
The Hooks (36-28, 79-54) have lost eight of their last 11, and now lead Frisco (35-30, 59-76) by 1.5 games with five to play in the Texas League South second-half pennant race.
Corpus Christi right-hander Brandan Bielak (2-5) spread three runs over the first five innings.
The Riders plated a pair in the third on RBI singles by Jose Cardona and Josh Morgan. A lead-off walk to Eliezer Alvarez keyed the rally.
In the fourth, doubles by Preston Beck and Luis Mendez made it 3-0 Riders.
The Hooks best scoring chance was in the second. Taylor Jones cracked an infield single to begin the frame. Jones raced to third when Abraham Toro smoked a double off the right-field wall. Randy Cesar was next and worked a walk. Payano, who was making a spot start in place of Jonathan Hernandez, escaped the bases-loaded jam by recording two strikeouts and a comebacker to the hill.
Payano (5-9) retired 14 of the final 16 men he faced.
Adam Parks permitted two baserunners over two innings and C.D. Pelham sidestepped a two-out walk in the ninth.
The Hooks have scored just one run in the last 28 frames.
Frisco salted the game by scoring three unearned runs against Alex Winkelman in the eighth.
Alvarez, who homered last night, sealed the inning with a two-run single to center.
Rehabbing Astro Jake Marisnick played the full game in center field for the Hooks. Marisnick went 0-for-4 out of the lead-off spot.
Lefty Ryan Hartman (10-4, 2.75) is scheduled to start Thursday night. Frisco counters with Edgar Arredondo (0-3, 4.97). First pitch 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 30, 2018
- Big First Dooms Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Early Hooks Hits Best Riders - Frisco RoughRiders
- Drillers Magic Number Remains at Two After Loss to Naturals - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks Notch Win No. 80 - Corpus Christi Hooks
- I Heard It Through the Jace Vines: Naturals Playoff Hopes Stay Alive Another Day - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Reed Garrett Named to Texas League Postseason All-Star Team - Frisco RoughRiders
- Hooks Land Trio on TL All-Star Team - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Tatis Jr. Highlights Four Missions Selected to Texas League Post-Season All-Star Squad - San Antonio Missions
- Joey Curletta, Matt Festa Named TL Postseason Stars - Arkansas Travelers
- Offense Stalls, Riders Tighten Race - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Kruczynski Good Again But Cardinals Fall 7-5 to Travelers - Springfield Cardinals
- Ramirez Walks It off for RockHounds - Midland RockHounds
- Drillers Edge Closer to Playoff Berth with DH Split - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Split Double-Header, Elimination No. Down to One - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.