Bees' Davidson Stifles Beavers In Series Finale
PORTLAND, Ore. - Daniel Davidson allowed one run in seven innings and Terry Evans blasted a two-run homer as the Salt Lake Bees beat the Portland Beavers 3-1 in front of 6,993 fans at PGE Park for the final US Bank Art & Science of Baseball School Day of the year on Friday morning.
Davidson (6-1) earned the win for Salt Lake (28-25), surrendering only four hits and one run. He struck out six and did not walk a batter.
Nate Sutton also homered for the Bees, his second long ball of the series, sending a third-inning pitch over the right-field wall.
Mark Worrell (1-3) took the loss for Portland (20-34), tossing two innings of relief and allowing one run on three hits.
Gabe DeHoyos pitched two perfect innings in relief of Davidson to record the save.
The Bees were first on the board when Sutton hit his solo home run to right.
Salt Lake extended its lead with Evans' two-run shot in the sixth. Mark Trumbo scored on the play after his pop-up was lost in the sun, giving him a single.
The Beavers got their run in the seventh on an Aaron Cunningham double into the gap that scored Craig Cooper from first.
Portland starter Tim Stauffer, on a rehab assignment from San Diego, pitched two shutout innings for the Beavers, allowed two hits and did not strike out or walk a batter.
The Beavers travel to Reno on Saturday to begin a four-game set against the Aces at Aces Ballpark. Saturday's game will begin at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Stauffer, the Beavers' franchise leader in career wins, starts and strikeouts, made his first start of 2010 for Portland ... Cunningham's second-inning groundout was his 2,000th career minor league at-bat ... Davidson becomes the Bees' first six-game winner this season, bringing him into a tie for second place in the PCL ... at one point in the game, Davidson retired 18 Beavers in a row ...the Beavers have not won a series since sweeping the Sacramento River Cats on April 20-23 ... Cooper extended his hitting streak to eight games with a two-out single in the seventh.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 4, 2010
- Tacoma's Seddon shuts down Sacramento - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Reign Supreme in Tenth, 8-6 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Allen's Homer Lifts Reno To 8-6 Win Over Sky Sox In 10 - Reno Aces
- Z's route Royals 15-6 in series finale - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Memphis wins over Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Hold off Late Iowa Rally 6-4 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Lose 10-1, Split Series with Albuquerque - Nashville Sounds
- Los Lonely Boys to Play at The Dell Diamond - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Express Game Notes - Round Rock Express
- OKC RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees' Davidson Stifles Beavers In Series Finale - Portland Beavers
- Baseball Legends To Sign Autographs - Reno Aces
- Eight-Game Aces Homestand - Reno Aces
- Online All-Star Fan Voting Underway - PCL
- Jeff Mathis To Rehab With Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Takin' Texas Tour Makes Stop In Round Rock On July 28 - Round Rock Express
- Express Split Doubleheader with Iowa Cubs - Round Rock Express
- Wimberly Extends On-Base Streak To 31 In Victory - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss