Beavers Use Seven-Run Sixth to Best 51s, 8-5
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Nick Green and Chris Stewart drove in two runs apiece and Radhames Liz earned his eighth win as the Portland Beavers rallied for seven runs in the sixth inning to beat the Las Vegas 51s 8-5 at Cashman Field Monday night.
The Beavers (51-79), who scored 10 runs in the eighth inning Sunday, used three walks, four hits and an error against starter Lance Broadway and then Steven Register (1-4) to win their third straight over Las Vegas (61-69) and sixth straight on the road overall.
Cedric Hunter had two hits and scored twice and Aaron Cunningham went 2-for-3 for the Beavers, who were out-hit 9-6.
Danny Perales hit a three-run homer in the second inning but grounded out with the bases loaded to end the 51s' half of the eighth inning.
Liz (8-8) allowed six hits in six innings, giving up four second-inning runs. He did not issue a walk and struck out four.
Broadway struck out seven over 5 1/3 innings but walked five and allowed four runs. Register yielded three runs (2 earned) in 1 2/3 frames.
The 51s raced out to a 4-0 lead in the bottom of the second on four straight hits to open the frame. J.P. Arencibia, Chris Lubanski and Jason Lane singled to score the first run before Perales belted Liz's first pitch over the right field wall for his fourth homer of the year.
Meanwhile, Portland was held to just one hit over the first five innings before exploding for seven runs on four hits in the sixth. Broadway walked three of the first four batters of the inning before giving up RBI singles to Cunningham and Hunter. Green followed with a two-run single to tie the game and Stewart singled to put the Beavers in front. Everth Cabrera grounded out to first to score Green and Sean Kazmar hit a grounder to short that should have ended the inning but shortstop Mike McCoy misplayed it into the Beavers' seventh run.
Portland added an eighth-inning insurance run as Hunter doubled and scored on Stewart's sacrifice fly.
The 51s rallied in the bottom of the eighth against Luis Perdomo, using a walk and singles by Jarrett Hoffpauir and Mike Jacobs to make it 8-5, Portland. Perdomo recovered to strike out Arencibia and Lubanski before walking Lane to load the bases. Adam Russell came on and induced a groundout from Perales to end the threat.
Russell finished off the 51s with a scoreless ninth to convert his 11th save.
The Beavers go for the four-game sweep over the 51s Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: The Beavers have scored seven-or-more runs in seven different innings in 40 games since the All-Star break ... it was Portland's second straight win with more runs than hits ... Portland's Mike Baxter, who leads all of professional baseball with 49 hits since July 23, was held to a rare 0-for-4, though he did score his minor league-best 34th run since that date.
Beavers Game File MONDAY'S GAME: Beavers 8, Las Vegas 5 WINNING PITCHER: Liz (8-8) LOSING PITCHER: Register (1-4) SAVE: Russell (11) HOME RUNS: None TUESDAY'S GAME: Portland (Cesar Carrillo: 4-13, 5.21) at Las Vegas (Luis Perez: 4-4, 6.55), 7:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 24, 2010
- Fresno Wins Series with 10-1 Victory - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Round Rock Express Rally Past Oklahoma City 3-2 - Round Rock Express
- Aces Unveil Plans for Fan Appreciation Week - Reno Aces
- Mosebach Placed on Disabled List - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Finish the Regular Season with a Fine Nine - Memphis Redbirds
- I-Cubs Fall to Split Nashville Series - Iowa Cubs
- Dickson Pitches Redbirds Over Royals - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes Vs. Oklahoma City RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Earn Series Split with 6-4 Win - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Pineda Named Minor League Player of the Year Finalist - Tacoma Rainiers
- Fresno Grizzlies Announce 2011 Home Schedule - Fresno Grizzlies
- Iowa Cubs Wives Raise Money for Homeless Shelter - Iowa Cubs
- Aces Roll Past Rainiers, 12-7 - Reno Aces
- Beavers Use Seven-Run Sixth to Best 51s, 8-5 - Portland Beavers
- L.V. 51s Franchise Records 300,000 in Home Attendance for 28th Straight Season - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss