Battochio Earns Second Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week Award
(Rapid City, SD) - The Central Hockey League (CHL) announced today that Danny Battochio has been named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week for the term ending February 20th. For Battochio, this is his second Goaltender of the Week award in the past month, having also won back on February 1st.
"Plain and simple, Danny has been outstanding", said Rush Head Coach Joe Ferras. "His focus and compete level every game has been second to none. Danny is the cornerstone of this team and he is playing with a ton of confidence."
For the week ending February 20th, the reigning 'Rookie of the Year' won both of his starts, allowing just one goal and posting a .984 save percentage. This includes a 3-0 victory against Colorado on Tuesday, giving the netminder bookend shutouts of the Eagles. Battochio's 30-save effort on the 15th was the first time the Eagles had been blanked since February 16th of last season, almost exactly a year ago. In that game, Battochio stopped 36 shots for a 1-0 overtime victory, his first career shutout.
"It feels great to once again be named goaltender of the week," said Battochio. "It's a great honor to be recognized by the league, especially considering you're competing against a lot of other very good goalies. As a team, we're putting something special together here with the run we've had. It's wonderful to receive this individual award, but it's all about wins and being in the best position come playoff time."
For Battochio, this is his fourth career league honor, having earned Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week honors on both February 1st, 2011 and January 18, 2010 along with Goaltender of the Month for January 2010.
"Danny is certainly very deserving of this award, but he would be the first to tell you that his success has been a result of the great play of the entire Rush team," continued Ferras. "No one puts the team's success ahead of their own more than Bats does."
On the year, Battochio is 23-15-4 with a 2.63 goals against average and .909 save percentage. The Lively, Ontario native is tops in the league with 23 victories, first in minutes played at 2,397, 3rd overall with a trio of shutouts, and 3rd in saves (1046).
Other Rush News:
Tickets for the 2010 - 11 Rush hockey season are on sale now. For more information, contact the Rush office at 605.716.PUCK (7825) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay informed on Rush happenings through the official Rapid City Rush team website, www.RapidCityRush.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2011
- Mudbugs Sting Killer Bees in South Texas - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Americans Earn 'X' in Standings with 4-3 Win over Bucks - Allen Americans
- Bucks Rally Falls Short - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Defeated by Mudbugs 4-1 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Bloomington Pushes Dayton's Losing Streak To Three - Dayton Gems
- PrairieThunder Wins Third in a Row at Dayton on Tuesday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- RiverKings Part of Captains for Courage Initiative - Mississippi RiverKings
- Colorado Eagles Assistant Coach Suspended - CHL
- Battochio Earns Second Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week Award - Rapid City Rush
- Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week Announced - CHL
- RiverKings Waive Jeff Christian - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sundogs 'Salute to Heroes' Night Saturday, March 5 - Arizona Sundogs
- Sundogs Announce $1 Margarita Night on March 4 - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Splits Four Games - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.