Killer Bees Defeated by Mudbugs 4-1
HIDALGO, Texas- The Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees (21-26-5) allowed two power-play goals on two opportunities as the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs (28-21-2) defeated the Killer Bees 4-1 on Tuesday night. The 'Bugs power-play went 2-2 while the Bees went 0-3. Aaron Lewicki scored the Bees lone goal.
The Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs and Killer Bees would play a high percentage of the first period in neutral ice with neither team creating a ton of offense. The Bees attempted eight shots on net while the 'Bugs would put six on Juliano Pagliero. Both goalies turned away the combined 14 shots on net.
The Mudbugs would draw first blood with a goal at 10:40 of the second period, more than halfway through the game. Justin Aikins picked up a feed from Brett Smith and drove towards the net. As Aikins moved across the top of the crease he backhanded a shot past Pagliero to give the 'Bugs the first lead of the game. The goal came while the 'Bugs were on their first power-play of the game.
The Mudbugs would increase their lead to two as Steve Crampton potted his 15th of the season with a slapshot that beat Pagliero glove side.
The Bees would get a goal back before the end of the period as Aaron Lewicki scored his rookie high 18th goal of the season. Darcy Campbell threw a Tomas Klempa pass to the front of the net where Lewicki deflected it past John DeCaro.
The Mudbugs would add a pair of strikes in the third period to put the game away. Brett Smith scored a power-play strike just 14 seconds into the 'Bugs advantage with a deflection from a Justin Aikins pass.
James DeLory gave the 'Bugs their largest lead of the night at 15:00 of the third period as he picked up a loose puck in front and roofed it past Pagliero.
The Killer Bees return to action Wednesday night hosting the Allen Americans in a game that was originally scheduled for January 21st. All tickets from the 21st will be honored tomorrow night and new tickets are available by calling 843-PUCK (7825) or visiting killerbeehockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2011
- Mudbugs Sting Killer Bees in South Texas - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Americans Earn 'X' in Standings with 4-3 Win over Bucks - Allen Americans
- Bucks Rally Falls Short - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Defeated by Mudbugs 4-1 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Bloomington Pushes Dayton's Losing Streak To Three - Dayton Gems
- PrairieThunder Wins Third in a Row at Dayton on Tuesday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- RiverKings Part of Captains for Courage Initiative - Mississippi RiverKings
- Colorado Eagles Assistant Coach Suspended - CHL
- Battochio Earns Second Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week Award - Rapid City Rush
- Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week Announced - CHL
- RiverKings Waive Jeff Christian - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sundogs 'Salute to Heroes' Night Saturday, March 5 - Arizona Sundogs
- Sundogs Announce $1 Margarita Night on March 4 - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Splits Four Games - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.