Americans Earn 'X' in Standings with 4-3 Win over Bucks
Laredo, Texas-The Allen Americans snapped a small four game losing streak Tuesday night in Laredo, winning 4-3 in front of 2,683 at the Laredo Energy Arena.
Laredo opened the scoring with a power play goal from Daniel Koger 8:11 into the first period. Jeff Bes and Jeff Hazelwood assisted on the goal for the Bucks.
Determined to break their recent skid, the Americans roared back to tie the game on Jonathon Zion's second of the season, 15:45 into the first frame. Nino Musitelli then gave the Americans the lead 2:45 into the second period, before Bruce Graham potted his 28th with just over a minute remaining to make it 3-1 heading into the third.
Americans goaltender Chris Whitley stopped 15 of 16 Bucks shots through the first two periods of play, while Torrie Jung turned aside 20 of 23 at the other end of the ice.
In the third frame, the Americans peppered Jung early, and cashed in at 10:54 with a Brian McMillin tally from Iain McPhee and Tobias Whelan.
Laredo attempted to mount a furious comeback late in the game with a pair of goals from David Inman just over two minutes apart, which made it a 4-3 game.
Whitley was able to slam the door shut for the remainder of the game and preserve a victory for his club.
With the win, Allen officially secured a playoff spot in the Ray Miron President's Cup Playoffs; the first club in the league to clinch thus far in 2010-11.
The Americans (35-11-2) will travel to Hidalgo for a Wednesday night matchup with the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees (21-25-5). Puck drop is scheduled for 7:00PM at State Farm Arena. The game can be heard on www.975klak.com, and seen on CHL-TV.
Following Wednesday night's contest, the Americans will return home to the Allen Event Center for a Friday night battle with the Texas Brahmas at 7:30PM. Saturday night Allen will remain at home for a 7:00 face off with the Bloomington Prairiethunder, who will make their first ever appearance in Allen.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2011
- Mudbugs Sting Killer Bees in South Texas - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Americans Earn 'X' in Standings with 4-3 Win over Bucks - Allen Americans
- Bucks Rally Falls Short - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Defeated by Mudbugs 4-1 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Bloomington Pushes Dayton's Losing Streak To Three - Dayton Gems
- PrairieThunder Wins Third in a Row at Dayton on Tuesday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- RiverKings Part of Captains for Courage Initiative - Mississippi RiverKings
- Colorado Eagles Assistant Coach Suspended - CHL
- Battochio Earns Second Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week Award - Rapid City Rush
- Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week Announced - CHL
- RiverKings Waive Jeff Christian - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sundogs 'Salute to Heroes' Night Saturday, March 5 - Arizona Sundogs
- Sundogs Announce $1 Margarita Night on March 4 - Arizona Sundogs
- Thunder Splits Four Games - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.