Austin FC Names Chief Medical Officer and Chief Orthopedic Officer
Austin, Texasâ¯-â¯Austin FC, the 27th club in Major League Soccer (MLS), and St. David's HealthCare announced today the appointment of Dr. Timothy Vachris, M.D., as first team Chief Medical Officer and Dr. Douglas Elenz, M.D., as first team Chief Orthopedic Doctor. Dr. Vachris and Dr. Elenz will work in close coordination with St. David's HealthCare -- a Club Founding Partner, Official Healthcare Partner, Training Partner, and St. David's Performance Center Naming Rights Partner.
"We are pleased to continue our partnership with St. David's HealthCare with the additions of Dr. Vachris and Dr. Elenz to our Soccer Operations team," commented Claudio Reyna, Austin FC Sporting Director. "Our players are privileged to receive exceptional medical care from the St. David's HealthCare team, which plays an integral role in our preparations and ongoing work for our first official MLS preseason."
In practice for over 15 years, Dr. Vachris has served as Family and Sports Medicine Physician at Texas Sports & Family Medicine since 2009, Team Physician for McCallum High School since 2010, and Clinical Assistant Professor for the Department of Family Medicine for The University of Texas Medical Branch between 2009-14. He also served as Team Physician for the University of Texas Athletics Program (2009-14).
Dr. Vachris graduated from the University of St. Thomas with a B.A. in Biology and Spanish in 2000 and earned his medical degree from the University of Texas at Houston in 2005. The Texan-native completed his residency in Family Medicine at Memorial Southwest Family Medicine Residency in Sugarland, TX. While in residency, Dr. Vachris developed an interest in Sports Medicine, and supported the care of the athletes at the University of St. Thomas. Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Vachris provided sports medicine coverage as team physician for California's Claremont McKenna College, Cal State University, San Bernardino, and Los Osos high school.
Dr. Elenz has been practicing orthopedics in Austin for 25 years and helped established his current practice, Austin Sports Medicine, in 1999. Dr. Elenz also currently serves as the Team Orthopedic Surgeon for the Athletics Department at the University of Texas at Austin, a position he has held since 2009. He is a board-certified orthopedic and sports medicine fellowship trained surgeon, whose experience includes prior roles with the Chicago Cubs (MLB) between 1994-95 and the Pittsburgh Steelers (NFL) in 1995, as well as caring for many professional All-Stars, Olympic medalists, and World Champions.
Dr. Elenz earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1985, where he was a two-time captain and seven-time NCAA All-American for the Longhorn Swim Team. Dr. Elenz completed a Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery Fellowship at Orthopedic Research of Virginia/Tuckahoe Orthopedic Associates in Richmond, Virginia in 1996 and earned his medical degree from the University of Texas-Houston Medical School. Dr. Elenz completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the McGraw Medical Center of Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 26, 2021
- Atlanta United unveils "The BLVCK" Kit for 2021 season - Atlanta United FC
- Update on Major League Soccer Expansion in Sacramento - MLS
- Minnesota United Presents 2021 River Kit - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC 2021 Preseason Begins March 1 at Starfire Sports - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids' Belief in Youth Key to New Assistant Chris Little's Appointment - Colorado Rapids
- Vibe II Jersey Celebration Saturday - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Unveils Vibe II, its 2021/22 Major League Soccer Away Jersey - Nashville SC
- Wolde Harris and Chris Little Join Rapids Coaching Staff as Assistants - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Names Chief Medical Officer and Chief Orthopedic Officer - Austin FC
- CF Montreal to Start Training Camp on Monday - Club de Foot Montreal
- New York Red Bulls Add Carlos Coronel on Loan from Red Bull Salzburg - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin FC Stories
- Austin FC Joins Forces with Austin Public Health to Promote COVID-19 Vaccinations
- Austin FC Announces Two 2021 Major League Soccer Schedule Updates
- Austin FC Wins 1-0 away at Minnesota United FC
- Austin FC Announces Grand Opening of the Verde Store at Q2 Stadium
- Austin FC Statement on Tomás Pochettino