New York Red Bulls Add Carlos Coronel on Loan from Red Bull Salzburg
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have added Brazilian goalkeeper Carlos Coronel on loan from Red Bull Salzburg pending of his P-1 visa and ITC, the club announced today. Coronel will be on loan through the end of 2021, with a club option to purchase. The goalkeeper will occupy an international spot on the Red Bulls roster.
"We're pleased to have Carlos join us on loan for the season," said Head of Sport Kevin Thelwell. "He is a very good goalkeeper, has experience with Gerhard's style of play, and a familiarity with MLS. Carlos further solidifies our group of goalkeepers, and we look forward to getting him acclimated within our group."
Coronel, 24, has spent the last two seasons with RB Salzburg. The Brazilian goalkeeper most notably earned three appearances, including two starts, during the 2019-20 UEFA Champions League Group Stage. He tallied a 1-1-1 record with eight saves and a 1.52 goals against average.
"Carlos brings experience of playing in the Champions League and has shown that in big games he can bring stable performances and leadership on the field," said Head coach Gerhard Struber. "He strengthens our goalkeeper group and brings good energy to our team."
After two-and-a-half seasons at Red Bull Brasil Under-20s, Coronel began his professional career with FC Liefering, second-division club affiliated with RB Salzburg, at 18-years-old. Over three years with Liefering, he accrued 20 cleansheets in 67 Erste Liga matches over 6,030 minutes played. Coronel wore the captain's armband 16 times while with Liefering.
Coronel also spent time in MLS, being loaned for six months from RB Salzburg to the Philadelphia Union during the 2019 season. He made four appearances for Union, tallying two shutouts and a 4-0-0 mark. Coronel also saw time with Philadelphia Union II, making eight appearances in 720 minutes played.
Transaction: New York Red Bulls loan Carlos Coronel from RB Salzburg on February 26, 2021, pending receipt of P-1 Visa and ITC. He will be on loan through the end of 2021, with a club option to purchase. The goalkeeper will occupy an international spot on the Red Bulls roster.
Birth name: Carlos Miguel Coronel
Birthdate: December 29, 1996
Place of Birth: Corumba, Brazil
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 26, 2021
- Atlanta United unveils "The BLVCK" Kit for 2021 season - Atlanta United FC
- Update on Major League Soccer Expansion in Sacramento - MLS
- Minnesota United Presents 2021 River Kit - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC 2021 Preseason Begins March 1 at Starfire Sports - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids' Belief in Youth Key to New Assistant Chris Little's Appointment - Colorado Rapids
- Vibe II Jersey Celebration Saturday - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Unveils Vibe II, its 2021/22 Major League Soccer Away Jersey - Nashville SC
- Wolde Harris and Chris Little Join Rapids Coaching Staff as Assistants - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Names Chief Medical Officer and Chief Orthopedic Officer - Austin FC
- CF Montreal to Start Training Camp on Monday - Club de Foot Montreal
- New York Red Bulls Add Carlos Coronel on Loan from Red Bull Salzburg - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- MSG Networks Announces 2021 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule
- New York Red Bulls Further Partnerships with Jersey, Apparel Placements
- Red Bull Arena Receives Global Biorisk Advisory Council STAR Accreditation
- New York Red Bulls Name Stefano Fusaro Digital Correspondent and Spanish Radio Host
- New York Red Bulls Issue Club Statement